HELP... forcing bulbs question..?

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi y'all wise gardeners!

I know, i go away and then i come back only when i urgently want something...

But...
OK, i know about growing the giant amaryllis (and paperwhites, phew!) they sell as gift kits... super easy, right? Actually i was at the Home Depot in Chelsea today, and their loose amaryllis bulbs had stalks 6"+ in the bags, poor things!
But when i looked up forcing bulbs in general, there is a lot of talk of weeks and months of cold, and it all sounds complicated.
Now, i know sometimes, when i get crocus bulbs, they are sprouting already... Would they continue to grow and flower if i planted them inside? Would they even if they aren't sprouting yet?

I want to give some little potted bulbs as a closing night gift to people in a show which has meant a lot to me. (They are pretty much all apartment dwelling NYC folks).
But, if they need to do anything with them (other than maybe a little water), it will never happen. What are the chances i could pot up some little crocuses or other small bulbs and they would grow? (i love the idea of bringing something to life, the show is a retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice...)

Please advise...

I'm hoping this makes sense, it is late, i know... but if i'm going to do this, i have to get started! :)

thankyouthankyouthankyou!

amy

Thumbnail by amethystsm
Thomaston, CT

Great to hear from you, Amy....sounds like all is going well! I remember narcissus bulbs being sold in glass containers where only the roots were in water....I would think that would work for the smaller bulbs as well.....maybe stick them in the fridge for a week.....you might have trouble finding the glass vases......they looked like this one......sorry, should have washed it first lol...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

From White Flower farm
"The principle of forcing is to prepare the potted bulbs for indoor bloom by first providing them with a simulated spring. This is done by placing the planted pots in a dark, cool location for about six weeks while they develop roots. Remember that the embryo leaves and flower buds, along with a store of nutrients, already exist within the bulb. All they require is some material to root into for moisture and support."

Some info for you
http://www.backyardgardener.com/bulb/indoorforceing.html

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hmmm... so pretty much what I read. Which means no?

So even bulbs that are sprouting already would not go straight on to flower?

I need a different plan for closing night... :(

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 2:17 PM

Thomaston, CT

Truffles?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

How about getting tree seedlings in a tiny potting mix? They can put them on their balcony in a pot over winter and give them to someone to plant if they don't have a balcony. Or get the amarylis or paperwhite or hyacinth bulbs in a tiny pot but attach a short note of instructions. I think paperwhites are fairly foolproof without too much cold if you buy them at a nursery that has already prepared them.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

wow, i just saw this, been away awhile. thanks!

Those were lovely ideas, but would have been too large and too expensive for me to manage.
i had come up with a rather clever non-botanical solution, and bought lovely cards, but wouldn't you know it - the show closed on the day of that insane freak nightmare snowstorm, and so a lot of things - like closing gifts and card - were left undone.

Now i am hoping to do some crocuses for people for xmas - i'm told one can cool them in the fridge, but some say after potting while others say you can cool the bulbs pre-potting.

Anyone have any personal experience with this? Or thoughts?

thanks...
amy

Thumbnail by amethystsm
Thomaston, CT

I've never done it, Amy, but wish someone would do it for me! Nice gift....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.