Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Northeast Gardening: HELP... forcing bulbs question..?, 1 by amethystsm

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright amethystsm

Subject: HELP... forcing bulbs question..?

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of HELP... forcing bulbs question..?
amethystsm wrote:
Hi y'all wise gardeners!

I know, i go away and then i come back only when i urgently want something...

But...
OK, i know about growing the giant amaryllis (and paperwhites, phew!) they sell as gift kits... super easy, right? Actually i was at the Home Depot in Chelsea today, and their loose amaryllis bulbs had stalks 6"+ in the bags, poor things!
But when i looked up forcing bulbs in general, there is a lot of talk of weeks and months of cold, and it all sounds complicated.
Now, i know sometimes, when i get crocus bulbs, they are sprouting already... Would they continue to grow and flower if i planted them inside? Would they even if they aren't sprouting yet?

I want to give some little potted bulbs as a closing night gift to people in a show which has meant a lot to me. (They are pretty much all apartment dwelling NYC folks).
But, if they need to do anything with them (other than maybe a little water), it will never happen. What are the chances i could pot up some little crocuses or other small bulbs and they would grow? (i love the idea of bringing something to life, the show is a retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice...)

Please advise...

I'm hoping this makes sense, it is late, i know... but if i'm going to do this, i have to get started! :)

thankyouthankyouthankyou!

amy