Jack in the pulpit and trillium help please

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Am moving and running out of time. was trying to dig the patches of JIP and trillium. Of course, any markers from earlier in the season are long gone. I am going to have to write into any form that I can come back and move the rest of the garden-neatly (not usually an adjective to how I garden).
Any tips on how deep I should be looking.?
Did a few deep digs yesterday..NADA. Of course was running out of light.
We have had a bit of frost..but daytimes have been generally in 50s or low 60s if that helps.
Thanks for any tips.
Have never moved more than a couple of plants and that was 30 years and a gazillion plants ago.
Marcia..late as always

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't think either one would be any more than a couple of inches deep. I dug some trillium from the woods behind my house to transplant a couple years ago and only got about a half cup of soil with them and they did fine. Good luck!

Doug

Thanks, I found some..but will go through and check my "deep digging area".....dug down too far most of the time.
I hope to get most of my earlies transferred..I also hope to win the lottery.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

If you win the lottery, my advice price goes to $100'000......

Doug

:) almost bought a ticket today, but needed to get out to the new garden,,,cold out there!!!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Well you're not quite in the Frozen Tundra!!! Have friends that live in Monticello.

Doug

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

Most Trillium seeds, need a double person of Dormancy. That is to say they must be outside in sub freezing temperatures for a 2 year period. I have several varieties and just throw the seeds around and 2 years I have new plants coming up. I have not had good success transplanting them however. They seem to need a soil with Microrhizia in it.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think our trillium are gifts from the birds. Trillium and Jack in the Pulpit are among the first to rear their heads in late April/early May. The JIPs are not deep at all as I've dug them in the past. They just seem to grow in odd areas by the roots of trees that make it harder to dig.

Let us know how you do.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow! I have the same thing going on with my jacks i've found. They all seem to grow tight to down logs and trees. Odd? I planted a bunch of ripe seeds this fall but we haven't had the normal cold temps this year so i an guesstimating that it may be two-three years before i see any. We'll see.

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

I love trilliums! The white trillium was made the provincial flower of Ontario, Canada in 1937. I grew up in Ontario and remember many a weekend hunting for them in the woods, along with jacks in the pulpit, to bring home to my mom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.