Another person with NoIDs for postage

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello,

I am new here, so I might not do everything correctly.

I moved to Texas early into the summer. My new backyard has a bazillion irises - eight large beds; packed with rhizomes. I really like plants, but this is my first experience with irises. I would love to see what colors I have, but my young dogs don't quite get the idea of not trampling, nibbling, or rolling on irises, and the beds are right in the chase each other path. I understand Fall is the time to transplant irises, so I'd like to offer them up to someone who likes them and has a "calmer" back yard.

I'd be happy to ship them to you for postage - paid after receipt. I can do paypal or check snail mail. Whatever works for you.

I'm new at this, so tell me how to send them to you...i.e. bleach dip? trim the fan? pack the box full or leave plenty of airspace? treat them like they are fragile? Make sure not to break any leaves? separate ones from different beds? Do you want them by the pound or number?

There are a lot! 10' diameter bed, 20' x 3', two odd shaped ones about 10' long, some 3'x 3' squares. I am guessing they were divided by color.... but have no proof.

Local pickup would be great. I live in the central area of Dallas/ Fort Worth, Texas.

I will try to figure out how to answer dmail...since I guessing that is how you will send me your information/ interest...(?)

Is there a portion of this website that I can use to identify a plant? There are some tuberous fall blooming plant mixed in with one bed, and I'd like to know what I am working with and how to care for it and replant it. ( I can't seem to post more than 1 picture)

Thanks!

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011 7:40 PM

Thumbnail by redslab
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Boy have you got your work cut out for you. lol. I don't do so well with german iris (bearded), but I am sure there are lots of others who do. It has slowed up around here in the last month or so, so you might have to wait a bit for response.

Have someone simply send a dmail to you if interested, then you will see it when you log on, or you will see a notation by the "mail" menu item at the top.

Yup, only one picture at a time. Give it your best guess and post it in an appropriate forum. It might get sorted out even to another forum, but most of the gardeners (regular posters) are very eclectic and cover a wide range of flowers and plants.

Good luck and welcome.

South Hamilton, MA

In many climates including ours, it is past time to plant iris. A barrier for the dogs?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the welcome oberon.

I forgot about all you guys with true four seasons, it's already cold up there. It has only been fall here for approaching a month (i.e. less than 90F). Maybe some people down here in my zone area will want them. Will they make it if I dig them now and they don't get planted?

I'll consider a barrier.

Thanks again, and sorry for the poor timing.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2011 5:37 PM

South Hamilton, MA

You can pot them up.

Castlewood, SD

Should you not find someone closer I would love to take some off of your hands, as many as you want to send... you could snip off the tops about 6 inches from the rhizome, crumble off the red clay dirt or wash n soak (whichever you prefer to do), give them a bleach water treatment.. let dry a day or so on some newspaper.. then cram them babies in a box.. lol

I'd just pot them up & keep them in the house at this point.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Since the season is late here (mid 60's daytime), if you don't have many takers, you could let them ride it out until next fall. Take some photos in the spring as they bloom, mark some as they bloom by color and location and offer them next July, Aug & Sept.

One of my friends had a brick raised bed at her rental house that was cram packed with overgrown iris. I tried to help her dig them out and how I wished they had just been in a regular bed and not in the brick box:LOL: Swear they were so intertwinned the rhizomes looked like macrame:LOL:

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Having dug up some well entrenched lilies and day lilies I can imagine what a job that would be to dig them up and separate them. I suspect a hose on jet would help. That is what I do with my dahlias to make sure I get all the dirt off them for winter storage

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi all,

I have enough takers for the amount of time I have to dig, wash and ship.

Yes, they are very tangled, some with numerous wye/ branches....I guess that means they are old (?).

Can I move some of the remaining ones in the spring to a new dog safe location. I don't have time to commit to it now. Will I just lose the flower, or is it worse than that?

Thanks again.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i have planted all year round, whenever i get some i put them in the ground. doesnt seem to matter to them but is probably not the correct time or way to do it.
kc

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've planted as late as mid Dec. (iris order was received in Oct) and had at least half of them still bloom 4 months later in late March/early April. Probably depends on the iris and the weather.

South Hamilton, MA

certainly can't be done when the ground is frozen as it can be here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.