Order from Faraway Flowers

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It just arrived - Red Alert, Pearl Lorraine and August Ruby. VERY nice bulbs, really nicely packaged. And I was provided with an easily accessible updatable tracking number, so that I not only knew the day of arrival several days ahead of time (thus being able to plan my schedule around delivery) but could guess the delivery time within an hour because of when USPS normally delivers. After many frustrations by FedEX ground this was really a treat.

I'll be back in spring.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 12:46 AM

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I planted mine from FAF last week. I can hardly wait til spring, or rather, July when they start blooming for me. It's pretty quiet around DG lately. :( I guess it makes sense though.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's very quiet. Nice to hear a voice out there!

Must be some way to drum up a topic. How about garden design, or small space garden design. Delph in the back, a ninebark to the side, peony across the way, lilies, hollyhock, tulips.....yuk. I have no talent for this. Just dig a hole and try to get the tall stuff in the back.

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

Oberon
Your last sentence describes me to a tee. LOL

I suspect I and you are not alone. As long as it flowers and grows, I am all for it.

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

I am trying to ripen lily seed pods I pollinated this summer but the rain/cool temps have made it a challenge. Right now I have little baggies slipped loosely over each one to keep them dry. They are too immature to ripen inside. Anyone else have suggestions or experiences with this? Would appreciate any tips!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

DonnaMack, how many daffodils do you plant around your lilies to prevent the critters from getting the lily bulbs? I just got my order of Daffodil Hawera and I'm read to use them around the lily collection that I ordered and want to plant them at the same time. Annette

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I basically put them in triangles around the perimeter of my lilies. Make some kind of shape which would reqiore the little buggers to cross that line. I think that it is actually the scent that scares them. You don't need a lot.

It's such a relief not having to wonder if the lilies are there. It's been great for me.

Donna

This message was edited Oct 25, 2011 7:23 AM

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna, I'm going to work on getting these lilies planted this week. Annette

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Welcome to Davesgarden and the Lily forum, cwalke!

When your lily seed pods become spongy and not solid, but haven't spit open, they are done growing and just need to be dried. If this is the way they are now, then you are home free. I don't have any experience in your climate, and I don't know if the baggies are a good thing or a bad thing. If the rest of the plant is still green, then the lily will still be pumping nutrients into the seed pod and at least for now, there is no need to worry.

Next time you can start your own separate "New Topic" when it is a different subject you want to talk about. See near the bottom here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/lilies/all/
You'll get the hang of it. Don't be shy!

Rick

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Has anyone heard from Ramona/Faraway Flowers?

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

Pirl
My last communication was in September when I received an order from her and she said at the time that there was a serious illness in the family. Her husband I believe. Said it was hard to keep on top of things. My prayers go out to her and her family.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ramona has been on the lilies forum on ATP. She posted there yesterday, I think was the latest. I didn't know her husband had been ill, and she has not mentioned anything about that. I'll ask her to come over here.

Thanks fleur and Polly. Her husband had dental work done and an infection ensued that prevented him from using his right arm. He is a plumber so that would drastically affect his work. I heard from her in September but not after that.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I just spoke with Ramona over on ATP. She says her husband is not doing well, and is permanently disabled, now. Ramona herself is well, and if you wish to talk to her, she is on Facebook also.

She is no longer a member of DG.

So, let's give her prayers and orders!!!!!

http://www.farawayflowers.com/

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I went to her site and she has uploaded new lilies this month. So yes!! Let's give her orders. The bulbs I received in fall from her are great.

Donna

Thank you, Polly. My prayers go out to Ramona's husband and also to Ramona. It can't be easy.

I'll go look now, Donna.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, I don't stop by as often as I used to but do still read the threads when I can. I just wanted to jump in and say yes, Ramona is doing OK, her DH not so well. It will be a long road to recovery and he's had many set backs. She was laid off from her job recently and has her hands full with DH's recovery. I too wanted to help her so I placed an order or 2 over the last month. :)

Here's what i've got coming so far from Faraway :
2 Lankon
1 Pretty Woman
2 Julie Fowlis
2 Extravaganza
1 Playtime
3 Ormea
3 Strawberry Custard
2 Olympic Torch
1 Big Brother

BTW, she is also selling bulbs on the L.A. under 'other plants".

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 7:38 AM

Glad to hear she's okay and trying to help her husband, as usual. I did send her an Email but haven't heard back from her.

Thanks for dropping in, Celeste.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Ramona, sends great bulbs. My garden looks better because of her :)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pirl. :)
Bluegrass, I totally agree!

I agree. Her lilies are wonderful.

Thumbnail by pirl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Shall we enable? ^_^
Spring Pink

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 6:54 PM

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Sure!

Cherbourg

Thumbnail by pirl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Candy Club

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I like Candy CLub. I don't have any lily pics on this laptop so I cannot play. Please post some more I may need to add a few more lol.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Santa Rosa I believe

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

My Jo Ann

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Tiger Woods ~ Think this is Tiger Edition...in any case it's one or the other. :)

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 9:17 PM

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Vendella

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

. 'Hacienda' (pure white) was first, then 'Santa Rosa' (white w/soft pink) second and finally the deeper pink one is 'Vendella'.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

The name of this Asiatic is escaping me @ the moment.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Better picture of the 3 above

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Starburst ~ It's called 'Playtime" now.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Last picture, need to get ready to watch NCIS . ^_^

If you think you are the only person who loves and admires the lilies in your garden....think again, you never know. ^_^
My DD's tribute to My Lilies.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

What a unique tribute! Hope the tattoo came before the sunburn!

Love your lilies, Celeste, and especially the trio shot!

Here's Time Zone from Faraway Flowers:

Thumbnail by pirl

Zucaro

Thumbnail by pirl

Triumphator

Thumbnail by pirl

Nymph

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread