Tropical Garden #112

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Dyzzy, my Prince turned red, too! He's been orange ALL summer, but decided to turn red for some reason - who knows why? He is pretty either way, IMHO!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

incredible shots everyone.

OK Homer..... I have 1 EE that has sent up a zillion babies, and on the main part of the plant several lower leaves are turning yellow. What to do about cleaning it up of the babies and do I just trim off the yellowing (this does mean its dying, right?)

I was thinking of transplanting to a larger pot, and trying to separate off the babies, but I don't have a clue when it comes to separating the babies from the parent. Elaine do you know, I could bring it over, but I'm afraid the transportation would hurt/damage the plant, it is rather tall, over 6 foot.

I'll try and get a picture tomorrow when I get home to show.

Jan

Great growing Drew on your P. moonlight.

Dyzzy, I'm a bit envious of your Philo. gloriosum as it appears to have reddish petioles along with the same color showing in the midrib of one of the leaves. Does the back of the leaves show the reddish or pinkish tint as well? I do not have this version of gloriosum but I like it.

Ardesia, very nice var. Alocasia.

Rita, your newest Philo's are beauties but I admire your 69686 the most. My latest purchase is an Anthurium called chamberlineatum but I can not find much information on it at all. If I remember correctly, I think you grow this Anthurium and if so, is it picky?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Rachel, both the older leaves of my little P. Gloriosum have pink ribs, and are slightly pink on the reverse. The newest leaf that has unfurled has white ribs at the moment but its stem is pink - in fact all the stems are rosy pink. It has a thin edging of pink, though. Same with the newest leaf that has not yet opened.

Interesting! I just thought maybe it was something I did to it, fertilizer or the mix I potted it in. Here's the pic I took the day I got the little fella.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Dyzzy, it will be interesting to see if your gloriosum still produces the same coloration as it matures. Metrosideros and LariAnn are the only other two that I have viewed reporting/showing this trait in gloriosum on this website. Mine, even as a juvenile, has never shown nor had this trait.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1115736/

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Elaine, do they have any more where you purchased? Maybe if they do; you could pick one up for Rachel (You guys did not know I was a broker...)? Come to think of it, I have never seen the pale red coloring. Tissue Culture reaction?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

They are a great online retailer, but if you look at the pictures at the link Mj gave above, the pic of the mature plant has light green stems, but the next picture is of a younger plant and it has pink stems like mine. If you are looking for a start with that trait, and want to order from Tropiflora, either phone them directly, OR I'd be glad to go up there and pick out plants for you to make sure we get the ones with the pink stems. They're small, (what they're selling are 'liners') so easy to ship.

Maybe LariAnn could tell us if the pink trait will last into maturity?

Blackshear, GA

Elaine,
If you do go...I would love one also. Let me know and I will send a check in advance.

Dyzzy, thank you for the offer on going to Tropiflora and picking out the ones with the pink petioles yourself. I will also send you a money order or check (which ever you prefer) for the plant and the cost for mailing. I can also send you a piece of mine if you would like to have the one I'm growing as well. I would be glad to do so and please send me your mailing address.

I've not seen LariAnn post much lately but I will send her a d-mail inquiring about this.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Like I need an excuse to go shopping at Tropiflora? Rachel, how many would you like? They're $3.50 each online, but I get a 10% discount because I'm on their mailing list. Paula, just one?

It will have to be next Monday, I'm afraid. I'm rather tied up this weekend, with house guests arriving starting Thursday and a sailboat regatta all weekend. House cleaning - Ugh! I'd rather be out getting dirty in the garden any day.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

me too? I would love to have one of those for a try..

Thumbnail by joeswife

or... two? LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

I have entered the photo contest, but I did last year and didn't hear a word..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I have two blooms on my iochroma austrailius

Thumbnail by joeswife

I started some yellow morning glorys for you, KayJOnes..

Thumbnail by joeswife

That's one of the reasons why I love you, Deb - you are so sweet!!! Call today, if time permits - I'm home most of the day.

Red Oak, TX

Hello Everyone!

Those are two very nice Philo's shown by homer and dyzzy. I have them with one leaf each. The Gloriosums are just now starting to put out new foliage, I might even have one with the pinkish tint. They are easy plants to grow, unlike the Philo Maimei which I've had for several years with only a few leaves to show. Is anyone having success growing Philo. Mamei?

Philo Pink Princess

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

RachelLF, thanks, The Anthurium chamberlineatum might have had a name change that we are not aware of. I haven't found any information either. Mine suffered a major decline this summer and is now putting out a few new leaves.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2011 1:08 AM

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

ardesia, I agree with Drew, that is a very nice Variegated Mac. I did try to grow one in the pond this year that ended up in failure. Maybe you should give the water lilly a little more time to prove herself worthy, it is such a beautiful flower.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

joeswife, I hope that your picture wins the photo contest! I like your iochroma austrailius shot, congratulations on getting them to bloom for you!

Thumbnail by prita

Really, Rita, on the congrats - lol! I have one growing in the ground, 3 years old and only bloomed once, 3 years ago - not since! Debra just has the touch!

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Rita!

Red Oak, TX

Please join us on the new thread,where I get to show off my new Bromeliad Harvey's Pride.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1228189/

Thumbnail by prita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.