Tropical Garden #112

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Please share your Tropical Plant pictures and gardens #112

We came from here;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224285/ #111

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011 11:06 AM

This message was edited Oct 19, 2011 11:13 AM

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

it has rained everyday for a week it seems.

dragon fruit

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

this bromeliad has some nice color.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

more bromeliads, since not alot is flowering now they always have nice color

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

one more flower

Thumbnail by candela

Sorry you guys! I guess I will have to triple check the new thread next time.Glad I am a little better at growing tropicals than using computers!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

we got here, Drew..
Candela, is that a pagoda flower there? I think I have one. Or a Buddah Belly? or... LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Debra, you could afford to buy lots more plants if you start charging admission to your botanical basement. Where else would people find lush greenery in Kansas during the winter?

Felt like Kansas here this morning, just 51 degrees. Brrr, the crotons come inside today although it will probably be 80 by the weekend.

When I went out to get the newspaper this morning I found critters sleeping in this mum. I could see over a dozen slumbering bees all over the plant.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Blackshear, GA

They are like the rest of us....the cold kinda creeped up on us and we wasn't prepared.

I am SO glad I got EVERYthing I wanted inside. I threw a sheet over by huge lav moon vine as it is covering the new summer squashes I am so proud of, as well as some new japanese morning glory vines that were setting ssed pods..

poor yard, covered in frost, drooping castors and such..

I didn't know bees slept LOL....
Drew, your package goes out today, KayJones, Your package arrived, and a package is on the way..
off to work!

Thumbnail by joeswife
Red Oak, TX

Hello Everyone!!
homer1958, thanks for the new thread! Sorry that I was too late to help.

candela, that is such a dramatic picture of your dragon fruit plant in the rain. love those Bromeliads!

Borneo Giant, I will try to keep it growing since it just now started to grow.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

joeswife, your hibiscus plant is so big, I like how you have it trimmed. Now that I have mine in the GH, my next job is to trim them back, and spray for whiteflies.

noid vine

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

mjsponies, that sure is a interesting orchid you posted on the last thread.

Philo.'Ring of Fire' that is only half completed.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Can you guess what this is? It usually blooms in the spring.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

I thought of Rachel when I saw this bloom today.

Thumbnail by prita
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Still haven't figured out how to post pictures from iPhoto. Worked outside most of this glorious day. Did a hard prune on three Citrus, Meyer Lemon, Satsuma Orange, and Mexican Lime. Accidentally cut off two lemons and one orange before fully ripe. Always doing something dumb. Also, hard pruned 3 Hibiscus. Most things in my garden are blooming their hearts out. So mixed up since they all went dormant during the 'SUMMER FROM HELL'. Getting the bird feeders all cleaned up and the 3 bird baths ready for winter. Going to come visit sometime, Rita. Can't believe we live less than 10 miles and have never seen each other's gardens.

Rita, I am offering my help if you have ?'s regarding Overwintergrowing the Borneo!

Hi Rita, that Voodoo lilly is confused, bu then so are alot of my out side plants.
I might be off line for a day or so, helping daughter number 2 with my Sisters Cancer Charity garage sale. I am so glad to get rid of stuff that has been sitting for ages in the same spot.

The kids all swear I am just making room for more plants.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Blackshear, GA

Dreeewww!
I have a question (or anyone else).....I have a varg monstera inside and it has grown up my windows (attached) and has a root at almost every leaf node. I just cut the top portion off and potted it in another pot. But now I would like to cut another 3-4 ft of the plant and make new plants. The question.....how much of the stem do I cut, at least two nodes? Since they have roots do I just 'lay' it on top of the soil or does one end need to be pointing up? I guess I'm not sure which way it will grow. If I need to take pictures, I will. Thanks

I am not sure about how much to cut but I do know you must retain the polarity, the direction it was originally growing in. Be sure to mark your cuttings with an arrow or something.

Paula; At least two nodes and plant the length of the piece horizontally about half the way down into the soil. Place a piece of Saran Wrap over the top of the watered pot and place in a warm, well lit location. In about 2-3 weeks (maybe more pending temps and light) you should see some growth.

Would like to see a picture of that bad boy!

Paula, I think Drew gave you some good advice but I will add that you only to need to make the cut a couple of inches beneath the last leaf node. To aid the cutting, apply the tip end with some cinnamon powder or rooting hormone if you wish.

Rita, you know I adore the inflorescence on Aroids and the one you showed from an Anthurium is beautiful. Thank you for sharing;) Also, tremendous camera shot you got from an Amorph's. leaf about to open.

I do not have any "new" plants to show but here is a shot of one of my favorite Alocasias from your friend, David. The scent is awesome to me but a bit overwhelming for others. LOL...

Thumbnail by

Drew, how are your Anthuriums doing? It's been a while since you've showed a photo of Regale...hint, hint.

Thumbnail by

Rachel, that is a beautiful shot of that bloom. You are so good at growing Anthuriums and Aroids.

Taken a few minutes ago... New leaf coming out. She's starting to rock!

Thumbnail by homer1958

Just beautiful, love the cats too.

Rachel, help! The Synandrospadix vermitoxicus (sheesh) I bought last summer promptly started losing its leaves as soon as I repotted it. Figuring it was a goner I just left the pot alone and forgot about it. This morning I went to emprty the pot and found the corm, it appears to be perfectly healthy. I brought it into the house and will repot it. Do you have any thoughts on how deep it should be?

Also, anyone have any info on the Alocasia 'New Guinea Gold'. It is in a pot, can it handle cold or should I bring that one in too? We rarely get freezes (with the exception of last year) but it does stay damp and chilly during the winter.

Thanks Debra but your thumb is more green vs. mine. Some I have good luck with and others I do not.

Drew, your Regale is looking good. What level of humidity are you able to maintain while their indoors? I like that cat picture, too.

Ardesia, your S. vermitoxicus (don't you wish it had a common/shorter name;-), has gone dormant. Just place the tuber/corm a few inches deep and don't water until you see it come up on it's own in the Spring. I can't help you with cold tolerance on your Alocasia as I do not grow it nor have I researched it. Hopefully Rita, or Drew can help you out with that one.

Red Oak, TX

Hello Everybody!!

LouC, You are welcome to visit anytime but I have to warn you, everything is a mess. Most perennial beds will need a complete makeover. We will have a lot of catching up to do next spring.

Drew, Thanks very much! I will definately need your help to get my garden back in shape. I think you and Rachel will be our "go to" people for all our Aroid questions. You have shown some of the healthiest plants I have ever seen!

This is what my A. Regale looks like.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

ardesia, I hope that your DH is doing much better now. You did a great job growing the colocasia Kona Coffee!

fruits

This message was edited Oct 22, 2011 7:28 PM

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Joeswife, that is a sweet shot of your Hibiscus and Datura. I hope you make loads of money for your cancer charity.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

RachelLF, There is a big smile on my face after reading your post! These little anthuriums from you, are as good as it gets. They are thriving and impress me every day with how well they are doing.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2011 7:09 PM

Thumbnail by prita
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have this plant, given to me by Floridian - have no idea what it is:

candela
Biscayne Park, FL
(Zone 10a)
October 19, 2011
04:20 PM

Post #8855970

Candela, can you go up to this post and tell us the name of that plant? Thanks!

Don't sweat it Rita, you are doing a great job... Anth. regale with a drought and 5-20% humidity just doesn't jive! Please show some shots of your Alocasias drying!

Love that Variegated Monstera fruit. More pictures when ripe?

I think Rachel is the best at growing Aroids! I just like to see how big I can grow the ones that I don't kill!!! That reminds me ... I need to get a picture of the Aloc. watsoniana for Rachel!

Everyone; have a great weekend.

Drew

Thumbnail by homer1958
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Kay that's a Budda Belly...http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2445/

For some reason that link didn't highlight. Let's try again.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2445/

Thumbnail by ardesia
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Candela.is there any thing you can tell me about your dragon fruit... like how old is yours.. and does it flower and/or set fruit for you there...how old are they before they do that sort of thing.. how long would you leave it outside in the cold.. can it stand any freezing or frosting.
I've a couple.. about 3-' - 4' tall now.. and I've no idea as to what to expect.. and when..

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Alice, thanks for the i.d., but that's not what I have - will take a picture of mine and see if you can i.d. it for me.

Drew, thank you, but I am NO where near the best or an expert when it comes to growing any plant and I've managed to kill a few as I did with my A. watsoniana. I am still learning on what I can get to grow and thrive vs. the ones that just hang around for a while but eventually die.

Rita, I knew you could grow those little Anthuriums better than I and I also have another juvenile to add along with the other one that I have for you. I will mail them to you very soon. I am terrible when it comes to growing Anthuriums when they are so young.

Rachel, as Tony Avant says, you are not a real gardener until you have killed a plant at least 3 times! Honestly, I must be an expert! LOL

You may still be learning but you really shine with how well you research your plants and how well you share the knowledge. We all appreciate it.

I agree with ALice... ;D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.