Built my own greenhouse

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

I had an area of my backyard that was pretty much useless, it's 5' wide by 24' long on th south side of the house, I needed a place to winter some outdoor tropical plants. Hopefully I can make some pics work. Here goes.

Thumbnail by jmoffatt
Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

more since it seems you can only have 1 pic per post, that I don't understand.

Thumbnail by jmoffatt
Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

next

Thumbnail by jmoffatt
Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

more

Thumbnail by jmoffatt
Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

on this one you can see the greenhouse to the right in relation to my backyard.

Thumbnail by jmoffatt
Cartersville, GA

Very clever design. Please report back on how well it does, as others may be inspired by your work. I HOPE to pull the plastic on our hoophouses this evening, as cooler weather is headed to NW GA.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Very nice, that brick wall should be good for holding heat. How are you ventilating if you get a warm sunny day?

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

Quote from cathy4 :
Very nice, that brick wall should be good for holding heat. How are you ventilating if you get a warm sunny day?

There is a slider glass window at the east end and I can open the door on the west end, and I have fans inside.

That is great, sounds like you have everything covered.

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

some pics of after the plants got in

Thumbnail by jmoffatt

lovely, a little piece of the tropics. I would be happy in there, too.

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi, jmoffatt and everyone.
I have just moved into a home in Western Washington where I will be building a greenhouse similar to yours. I am torn as to how to build it as
I do have a gate on one end of the space. There is an existing so-called green house there now but it actually served as a dog run for the previous owners; it will be removed.
My initial plan was to use the same footprint of the dog house but to build up for more sun space. Now I think I will attach the new structure to the house.
It is great viewing your space. It does show what can be done with a long narrow space. I will try to get some pictures and include them soon.
Thanks for the opportunity to think out-loud, well not out-loud but, in a forum with new friends. This is what I love about Dave's Garden.

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

Some more

Thumbnail by jmoffatt
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I think that is a great idea, very clever!

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Great plan & job for your greenhouse!

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8b)

the plants have thrived all winter, it's about time to bring them back out, they are a lot bigger than when I put them in and I've got tomatoes and peppers growing along with various herbs.

bravo! my geraniums bloomed all winter, a neighbor was so jealous.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Great job. Very innovative. Is that a word?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice!

Mebane, NC(Zone 7b)

I love that and the south side of my house is about the same way. I have been trying to think of a way to utilize it as a green house and your way looks perfect! Just some questions though... How did you attach the PVC to the house and the fence and how do you attach the plastic to the PVC? Thank you for the inspiration!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.