Heinz seed I.D,

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I recently was given five packages of seed from the seed division of the Heinz company. I do not know if they are det or indet. Anyone have a clue? The packages are marked H-5108, H-9478, H-3402, H-2206, H4007.

My best guess would be they are all Det but that would be a guess.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They are all processing tomatos and you are correct determinate. Full descriptions are found at http://www.heinzseed.com/new/pdf/2010cr.pdf http://www.heinzseed.com/new/about3.htm

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

how did you get seeds from the company???? cool!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I hope they fare better than their last seed distribution. They gave out thousands of packets and I don't know of one person who got ANY germination from them. There's a thread about them somewhere around here.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5b)

Quote from Sequee :
I hope they fare better than their last seed distribution. They gave out thousands of packets and I don't know of one person who got ANY germination from them.

I think you are referring to the Campbell's promotion, not Heinz. And those were definitely duds!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oops - you are so right! Sorry 'bout that...they were a total waste of postage.

Hope the Heinz promo is more honorable! Now that I think of it, I think I have a Heinz 1430 (?) that I have yet to try. Perhaps this will be the year!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Janice you will get a bigger crop if you stop hoarding the seeds and plant them lol.

Farmer dill I found the use type for all but H-3402 maybe I am looking over it can you help please thanks.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Weed, all the Heinz varities begginning with a single H are processing varieties. Apparently H-3402 is an older variety, because the 2008 release H-3406 is compared to it. Like many processing companies, Campbell, Allen, etc they began buy developing thier own cultivars for their contract growers. They did not begin to sell seeds to other commercial growers untill 1992. While they claim more tha 57 varieties, I have not found a complete list of what they offer, only what they are pushing at moment. I am curious also as too how you got samples from them. I don't do processing tomatoes, but they do have a few designed for fresh market. (named varieties).

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, ya think??? Dang - guess I'll need a bigger spread...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.