It's time to plant garlic

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's a link that describes how to grow garlic.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/garlic-growing-guide

I've never tried the soaking method described.

Photo is of the cloves I planted last fall.

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm not planting for a bit yet - our weather is so unpredictable and it was supposed to be in the 80s today. It's acting more like spring than fall out there!

Beautiful bowl of garlic cloves!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Cindy_GA - this is the time of year I watch the weather forcast carefully for the first fall frost so I can pull the sweet potatoes, and pick the sweet peppers.

Once the cold weather has settled in, I set the garlic cloves - usually around the end of October.

You are correct, this year's weather has been totally unpredictable!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Great harvest HB. I've never gotten cloves that large from my crop. I turned the bed last weekend then ran out of steam. Should get my two beds planted this weekend. Have not checked your link yet, will do later.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

How long are garlic cloves viable for planting?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

1lisac - after I dig mine up around the end of June, beginning of July, I sort and keep the largest for the next season's planting. I don't know how long they are actually viable. Last fall I set a little over 100 cloves, and only one died.

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

The instructions I've always followed for soaking use the baking soda/seaweed mixture for overnight and then a dip in alcohol for 3-5 minutes right before planting. I've had really good luck with this method, so I"m afraid to NOT try it :)

My instructions came from here:
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/growing.htm

Got my garlic planted last week....we grow hardneck garlic in this zone, which we'll harvest in about July or August.

Thank you, a friend ask me, and I had no idea what the answer was.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

1lisac - I forgot to say: keep the heads of garlic complete. Wait until you are ready to set the cloves before taking them off the mother plant.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll be planting this weekend. I did the soaking thing last year and all turned out fine. I thought I'd try it without this year and see what happens. I've noticed that some of you say you just plit the mother/heat apart and plant the cloves. Must work just as well?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

terri_emory - all I do is split the heads apart and set the largest cloves. The larger the clove, the larger the resulting heads will be.

I do water the bed well before setting the cloves, so perhaps this takes the place of overnight soaking.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks for that watering well tip HB, I'll water today and plant tomorrow. I've just turned in a wheelbarrow load of home-made compost into the raised bed (it's my 'mixing bowl'), a few weeks ago I bought 1 yard of compost and a sandy loam mix. All this goes into the raised bed, along with a heavy scoop of crushed seashells and several scoops of that volcanic rock dust someone here mentioned. Mix well, then I distribute to other beds, plant the mixing bowl bed last. It will be beets, carrots, brocc, cauliflower......etc. LOVE this time of year here.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

MaryMcP - If I were a vegetable plant I would feel really special having all that great stuff to grow in. ☺

I love this time of year, too. Today I finished a raised bed for broccoli transplants. I added lots of finely mulched leaves, and hauled several buckets of compost. I kept going, and going until I felt dizzy and nauseous. When I got into the house, hubby had to give me a couple of figs to raise my blood sugar. Sometimes I forget I'm a type 2 diabetic!

Tomorrow I'll put in the transplants, and try not to let myself pass out in the process - LOL!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh dear - you be careful with your health. It's important!

Just came in a little bit ago to get some food together, turkey rueben sandwiches and oven fries.

Beds are all turned and watered, it's still triple digits here so it's too hot to work outside already (10am here). I'll start on a labor intensive dinner idea later this afternoon. Will plant tomorrow.

The tomatoes already growing in that mix are very happy.....if I don't forget to water them. Funny that.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

MaryMcP - I love rueben sandwishes, but can never get the sauce right. Would you care to share the recipe?

It's 72F and sunny here today, and the forcast is for more of the same tomorrow.

Don't worry about me, I refuse to let the T2 get me down. I do follow the guidlines when it comes to my diet, but it was such a glorious morning, I forgot what time it was!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Sauce? Maybe what I make is not really a rueben. Basically it's a grilled cheese sandwich with sliced turkey and saurekraut. I thought the saurekraut made it a rueben. I better go Google. :-|

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8a)

HB - when I make reuben (with corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut, rye or pumpernickel) - I use thousand island dressing on them and then grill/toast them. The cheapest one is usually Kraft. Hmm. Now I'm hungry. Be safe!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yup, looks like I've got it all wrong.....next time there will be some thousand island dressing in the mix. A Rachel sandwich substitutes cole slaw for the saurekraut. That sounds interesting too.

errr, back to planting garlic, we got a bit side tracked here.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL! Rachel sounds good too! I may pick up some corned beef tonight. Hmmm....

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the reuben sandwich recipes. I'll have to check the label on Thousand Island Dressing to see if it's on my "can have" list.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Ohhhhhhh! I love reuben sanwiches! I have one at Crackerbarrel while on vacation and it was great!

Thanks for the info on not soaking. I have lots of goodies in the soil. Still very dry here, though.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

I can finally get my garlic planted - I got the last three varieties I was waiting for today. I'm trying to switch to creoles, since that's the type that seems to be though best adapted to this area. Of the creoles, I managed to snag small quantities of Aglio Rosso, Ajo Rojo, Native Creole, and Spanish Benitee. I'm hoping to add some more creoles to the list next season.

I'm also planting Chinese Pink, Corsican Red, Early Red Italian, Inchelium Red, Italian Late, Lorz Italian, Siciliano, Viola Francese, and Shantung Purple, all reportedly softnecks.

There's only 4-8 oz of each variety, but that should be plenty for my trial garden. I'll probably plant the largest cloves and try cooking with the smaller ones to sample the differences in flavor.

I can hardly wait for spring!

-Rich

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I planted my garlic a couple of days ago, and I hope that it was not too soon, as the weather has warmed up again. I suppose I should have waited for November, but last year I got caught and then planted everything too late, as there were many rain and snow storms. The first snow was November 20th. There is just no predicting thr weather.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've been waiting too, we are still in triple digit temps [low 100's but still 100° days]....the summer that never ends. I expect when it does cool down, the temps will plummet! There is just no predicting the weather - that's for sure.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

An odd observation here... it doesn't seem to matter regarding temps. My notes indicate that my garlic sprouts at the same time of year here regardless of temperature. I noticed yesterday that the perennial garlic bed is sprouting, as are the garlic chives and some of my ornamental alliums.

And yes,the summer that never seems to end will be coming to a screeching halt here by Wed night in the high 30s! What a switch from the one hundred degree temps. Not quite ready for that drastic a change.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

My garlic is already sprouting!

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

rjogden:

where do you get your garlic?

I purchased just two bulbs of California White from gurney's and plan to plant most of them in the holes of a concrete block raised bed I have. The rest I'm planting throughout the garden to see where it grows best. I realize it's not a lot of garlic I've purchased, but since this is my first year, thought I'd go small. I was actually going to purchase the Corsican Red, but that extra $3/bulb had to go to gas, LOL!

thanks for your help, everyone.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

SoFlaCommercial - I purchased mine from the supermarket. Be sure it has a root base - those from China have had the roots removed and I'm not sure they will grow.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from SoFlaCommercial :
rjogden:

where do you get your garlic?

Aglio Rosso, Native Creole and Spanish Benitee from Filaree Garlic Farm ( http://www.filareefarm.com/ ).

Ajo Rojo from Gourmet Garlic Gardens ( http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/ ).

Chinese Pink, Early Red Italian, Italian Late, and Lorz Italian from Territorial Seed Company ( http://www.territorialseed.com/ ).

Corsican Red, Inchelium Red, Siciliano and Shantung Purple from The Garlic Store ( http://www.thegarlicstore.com/ ).

Viola Francese from Seeds From Italy ( http://www.growitalian.com/ ).

There are some other sources I found too late to order from this year. One that carries Creole varieties is http://www.wegrowgarlic.com/.

Hope this helps.

-Rich

omg! i'm in heaven! thanks, rich

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks from me too! I was aware of all the others you posted, rjogden, but not The Garlic Store. All the rest are great! I'll have to save The Garlic Store link for next year. I just went shopping at the Legg Creek Farm website to replace some of my fruit trees that got fried this summer.

I have another question regarding garlic - I want to plant in the little holes of the concrete raised bed I have, but a worker at the nursery said that I need to be concerned with lime wash from the concrete, that it'd leach into the soil from the concrete.

how to i combat this?

thanks.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm not sure that's a problem, some plants like lime. Lavendar is one. I took an idea from DG'er JoParrott and bordered one of my beds with cinder blocks. I painted them first with white roofing insulation stuff....it's kind of rubbery....but you don't really have to. Last year I grew broccoli, carrots and garlic in them. This year I'll do the same and also some radish.

I can't find the pictures with the veggies actually growing in the cinder blocks, but this gives you an idea of what's happening.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

A closer look

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from SoFlaCommercial :
I have another question regarding garlic - I want to plant in the little holes of the concrete raised bed I have, but a worker at the nursery said that I need to be concerned with lime wash from the concrete, that it'd leach into the soil from the concrete.

how to i combat this?

The cement in the concrete reacts with dissolved carbon dioxide in water and other organic acids created by living plant roots and the breakdown of organic material in the media. It's simple soil chemistry.

I don't know of any way to prevent leaching from concrete short of using a sealer, and that may cause other problems because they're intended to be used on floors and pads, not planters.

-Rich

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I have been growing in cinder blocks for years and have never had any problems. Everything from cabbage,lettuce,strawberries,chives,parsley, cutting celery,cilantro,mint-you name it-

thanks, everyone; appreciated. now not so worried. :)

The only issue Ive come across (not personally) is that the cinderblocks get hot, which you can work around. May just want to keep it in mind.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I planted commercial grocery store garlic (from China) about 2-3 weeks ago and is has sprouted. I was planning to use garlic bought at the farmers market, thus locally grown, but DS ate it...
I read that my area should plant a Rocambole type.
I just planted what I had when I had time to do it....

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

sallyg - I hide the garlic I plan to grow, otherwise my DH would eat it. He doesn't like to peel the smaller cloves!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.