semi hydro doing great!

South, TX

Here are some pictures I took yesterday. The Semi Hydro is so nice.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
South, TX

Here is Sunkissed Rose

South, TX

And Amy Lyn that has a diff. bloom than I have seen online. HUM. Any ideas about what it might be?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally, as usual, your plants and pictures are beautiful!!!!

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I'll second that!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally, I don't know if it's been asked yet, but what are you using for semi-hydro? I have two hoya in a gritty mix and I don't think they are doing so well. Do you wick your violets? And have them on mats or grate?

South, TX

It is the medium sold by First Ray's online. The stuff looks like little balls. It naturally wicks, you do not have to put in a wick. These are ceramic I think. I LOVE it. My plants are thriving. I just got a shipment from Rob's violets and I forgot how messy the "soil" is, ha. I will repot in the medium I use soon. We also got a big heavy box of new medium today also.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Sally. The medium here is called hydroton. I have some hoya rooting it it, but I thought it may be too large for African violets. I'll try one plant and see how it likes it.

South, TX

The kind I use it not tiny. Half inch maybe.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh good. That's the size I have. I found a hydroponics store not too far that sells it in small or larger bags.

South, TX

Keep me informed! I just more pictures!

South, TX

More pictures from semi hydro.

South, TX

The above pic is still in soil, I just got my new box of s/hydro ceramic medium so it will be in there soon, ha. I forgot... Anyway, this Silverglade Apples has done great in the semi hydro.

South, TX

I added a new photo of my Rumba Red. I think it doubled in size last week when I was gone. I love how it is safe to leave them with the semi hydo medium.

South, TX

I can't believe how much better my plants grow now. I have some new plants to repot into the medium soon. I wish I had found out about this years ago.

It's certainly working!

South, TX

I was just changing out the bowls under each plant earlier. One had roots coming to the bottom and out of the pot already! WOW. It is actually the Silverglade Apple, in a picture above. My hubby has even commented about how they are all looking so nice.

Yardley, PA

Hi Sally, I haven't been doing the s/h for years with the african violets. Just started again and it really does work great. Don't have to worry about overwatering. I am finding that I have to keep them in bags with humidity and heat for at least a month to re-establish the roots. Just love the s/h. I have about 100 plants in it, mostly succulents and caudiciforms. Have been using it for about 10 years and just love it.

Thumbnail by Sally0
South, TX

I learned if from YOU! I have not needed bags, I was surprised. I never knew it would be so easy and work so well! I am glad you told us about it months ago. Your picture is so pretty!

Yardley, PA

I only bagged my first batch for a week and all 7 promptly died on me. I just finished bagging 7 more for a month and that has worked. You are so lucky you don't have to bag! You must have great conditions.
The african violets are just so rewarding. I could never grow them before the s/h.

Yardley, PA

Bought a bunch of miniature and semi mini's basically for space reasons. My first one has bloomed "Rob's' Bad Bunny" and it is so cute. Just love the variegated leaves, too.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally, "Rob's' Bad Bunny" is adorable. I just added it to my list. Love the variegation in the leaves.

South, TX

Aw, you have it in semi hydro. It is so pretty. Are you using it again?

Yardley, PA

Yes, they are in semi hydro. It is the only way I can grow AV's! I have about 15 going now. I forgot how pretty AV's really are.

South, TX

They sure are pretty! I agree. Hope you post more pictures soon.

Yardley, PA

Some of my plants are starting to bloom. This is Rob's Sarsparilla semiminature

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Here is Rob's Antique Rose

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

I got the next 2 from Home Depot and they are blooming like crazy.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

NOID but what a bloomer

Thumbnail by Sally0

Beautiful Sallyo!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

very pretty. I love the first NOID. It is gorgeous. Also the pink ruffled NOID is too!!! I think they are Optimara. They have some new varieties in the big box stores this year.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

They are, indeed, pretty!

I just can't wrap my head around why Optimara won't put any catalogue numbers on their little "popsicle-sticks"... Just the other day, I found an old Optimara-stick with no number on it from a Violet that I bought at Lowe's a few years back.

I know that the average customer won't mind but it's not exactly helpful anyway...

South, TX

They are so pretty SallyO.. I just put more new violets into the hydro pellets last weekend.

Yardley, PA

Sally, I have about 15 in s/h now. How many do you have? You are all right in that they are Optimara's. I remember the tags now. I also wish they had the numbers or names on them. It just makes it a little more interesting.

South, TX

I will have to count, ha.

Yardley, PA

This is Rob's Antique Rose. Have a bunch that are all coming into bloom. So nice to have flowers this time of year.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Rob's Sarsparilla. These are all semiminiature or minis

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Just starting to bloom. Love the red color of this one. Rob's Love Bite

Thumbnail by Sally0
Yardley, PA

Rob's Loose Noodle.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Sally0, they are all so pretty. I have a baby starter of Rob's Loose Noodle, and after seeing yours, I can't wait for mine to bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.