Cool October Orchids

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

I finally was able to take a seat in my "outdoor room" and admire my orchids-- no bugs and a lovely breeze. The Vanilla orchid that we got a lovely trellis for has sent a shoot into the nether reaches of the tree hibiscus! I'd take a picture but it is so entwined with the tree that it would be hard to get a good shot. Of course that tree is old, has occasional bugs and is smack up against a stucco wall . So much said for a trellis and worrying about the orchid attaching itself to wood! The orchid is in pant charcoal, and gets east sun. The sprinkler mists it twice a week and the the orchid misters inside the wall give it a little mist through the portal it's reaching for.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'd love to see a picture, Debi.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Two new orchids followed me home today. The one not in bloom is Blc. Mem. Vida Lee 'Limelights' and the other, in bloom and shown here is C. intermedia X Bl. Morning Glory. Both plants are big and healthy.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Debi, I like those shallow vented pots. I don't think I've ever seen those for sale here. Nice, natural growing area!

Pretty dark paph, Bree. You do have "the touch" with those.

Jim, I like the fluted lip on that catt hybrid...very sleek!

It got COOL here last night - down to 40 degrees. Naturally, the new greenhouse construction hasn't happened in time for this chill. So I spent yesterday evening moving all the orchids into the basement. There are enough florescent lights down there to light an airport. I did lots of research on lighting, but the florescents can be put right above the orchids - almost touching the leaves - without burning them, whereas the HID bulbs emit lots of heat, and very little blue light. I was impressed with the different types of red AND blue lumens of florescent light Lowe's had to offer. I'm going back for a couple more fixtures now...

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yesterday morning I woke up to 79 degrees. Same time this morning it was 57. It's a beutiful day today though with crystal clear skies and a high of 74.

Jim

north coast nsw, Australia

open now...

Thumbnail by breeindy
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

That's beautiful with the light shining through, Bree!

We just got back from a weekend at Biltmore in Asheville NC. I was a little disappointed that the orchid portion of their tropical greenhouse was closed for renovations. But here's a picture of the huge greenhouse to share. The estate itself was built by the Vanderbilt's in the late 1800's, and I'm assuming the greenhouses were built around the same time, as the family acquired most of the plant collections themselves. With the colorful leaves in the mountains, it makes for a nice outing each fall...with an additional 35 acres of both formal and natural gardens. Then there's the winery...to make sure you leave in a good mood. :o)

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have always enjoyed the gardens at the Vanderbilt mansion. It's just beautiful.

Bree, that backlit Paph picture is a winner.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Bree, that paph is just lovely.

Scott, I'm so jealous of your trip to Biltmore. Have wanted to go for ages, but DH probably isn't that interested, so will have to find something else that would interest him on a trip like that. Hm, maybe a NASCAR event with a stop at Biltmore on our return??

Just returned from a week's trip and all my 'chids are doing fine!! I have hopes of a spike starting on my little variegated phal and its aerial roots have reached 9in. across into its neighbor's pot. So much fun.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am just returning from work in D.C.. There is a lot of catching up to do.

Qwilter, I spent most of my time indoors working except for a trip to Annapolis for dinner at Cantler's and an evening stroll. The weather did look nice out the windows though. :)

Beautiful Paph., Bree.

Isn't Biltmore awesome, Scott? A shame about the construction though. I'd demand my money back for sure. Well, if anyone south of me plans a trip to Biltmore, Maypop is on the way. I might even be home. :)

My mantra..."Need to take pictures".

Love going to Biltmore! Have spent many many Augusts in the area doing horse shows. For those of you who go there and want a really great lodging experience look into the Greystone Inn several miles down the road. Pricey, but worth it. The NC State arboretum is close by as well. Great weather here-- waiting to see if we get any rain from Rina. Have to go to the East coast for a show this weekend-- trying to figure out if I want to do any orchid shopping while there-- any tips for the Sunrise area?
Debi

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A few days ago I received a call from one of the meterologists on Tampa's News Channel 8 (NBC affiliate). She got my name out of the paper where it talked about the Master Gardener speaker at a local library. She traced me down and asked if she could come out to the house and do a segment on me and my garden. They should be here in ten minutes. So, I'm sitting here nervously awaiting the arrival of the Channel 8 news team and my new favorite meteorologist, Leigh Spann. I watched her this morning so I know who I looking for. I have primped and pruned all I can so we will just let it flow. The casia started blooming yesterday and it puts on a good show. The grass is cut and trimmed and the golden rain tree is still full of seed pods. There are a few orchids in bloom so I guess I'm ready. Let 'er rip.

Jim

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, Jim the "TV Star"!!!!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Fantastic, Jim. I always watch Ch.8 so will look forward to seeing your segment on there!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, they came and stayed for about an hour. Leigh was tall, slim, young, very attractive and seemed very nice. They liked the orchids and the cycads the most. Just what will make the final cut, I don't know. It will air next Thursday morning betweed 5:00 and 5:30 as well as between 6:00 and 6:30. I guess I'm not ready for prime time yet. LoL. I did get the camera guy to take a picture with my camera so here is my favorite meteorologist and me just before they departed. See if you can tell which of us has the daily TV gig. :>)

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Very neat, Jim! I'm sure they got plenty of good footage that will survive the cutting room floor. If somebody visited my house on such short notice, all they'd find are dozens of unfinished projects.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I think you should send her an autographed copy of that pic. Once the segment airs you will be infamous!!!!!!

Be sure and have them send you the CD of your interview(or whatever it is they use now!) so you will have a copy to entertain your friends who didn't see it!

Thumbnail by Debijaynes
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

OOo, Debi pretty "Lady of the Night" there. I was just wondering last night if there was a chance of any of mine blooming this fall.

Bet that smells wonderful in the evenings.

Very pretty Brassavola, Debi.

Jim, I notice she couldn't keep her hands off you. Don't forget about Patty. BTW, I believe the orchid you posted in the first photo of the month should be labeled Suksamran. Their labels are always so screwy.

Here is another version...Vanda denisoniana x Ascocenda Suksamran Spot. The first parent, species Vanda denisoniana was also one of the orchid parents in the my Vanda Bronze Butterfly posted Oct. 12th.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Here is the plant. It is young and this is its first bloom. I was hoping for more flowers but that's okay. Another spike started to emerge and grew to be about six inches, then aborted. It may have happened because while I was away a section of the gh roof that had not yet been screwed down moved in a wind storm during a very cold night last week.

Here it is ten days ago, before the flowers were fully opened, with V. Bronze Butterfly in the background.

This is Cleisostoma discolor starting to open. There are additional spikes too. This may be the prettiest of the three Cleisostomas I have.

I pressed a bunch of buttons on my computer and smoke is coming out (just kidding but I have moved a bunch of things around and don't know what I did). lol

The plant...

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

My Morning Glory :)

Thumbnail by PurePlants

Did I miss something, PP? Is that the name of this Brassavola cross?

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Tag says: Bl Morning Gloria 'Remar' HCC/AOS

Oh cool. It's a brassavola/laelia cross. So for people who do not know what those other letters mean here is a link http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art43258.asp

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

It's just lovely, PP.

Good to know what Bl. means, Laurel, thanks! The new one I got at Tropiflora's festival is Bl. Yellow Bird. Can't wait until it blooms and I sure hope it retains the Brassavola fragrance trait.

Welcome, Dyzzy.

I needed the wide angle instead of the macro to catch the fifty six buds on Beallara Tropic Tom. It's just starting to open.

Here's a little closer view.

Mormolyca ringens is in bloom again. This is also known as the Texas Pete orchid.

There is a second flower spike to the right of the current one. Here's the plant.

NOID Tolumnia is also beginning to open.

As is miniature Dendeobium eriaeflorum. This one is loaded with flowers.

Liparis verdiflora looks like miniature bottle brushes. This young plant has three spikes just beginning to open.

Bulbophyllum rothschildianum opened its three flowers on the one bract today. It was neat to watch one open this morning, one this afternoon and the last one this evening. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's a close up of the Liparis.

I also have Bulbophyllum Lovely Elizabeth that should be open in a few days. Its flowers are half the size of Bulbo. rothschildianum though rothschildianum is one of the parents. As you can see my bloomers are showing now that the weather is cooling off. :)

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Good show this morning, Laurel! That Liparis is certainly unique...even in the orchid world.

Dyzzy, regarding your hybrid hanging onto the Brassavola fragrance, here's a good article about the hereditary influence of some common cattleya alliance orchids: http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=407, from the American Orchid Society. There are even some primary hybrids of Brassavola that have no fragrance at all, since some orchids - when crossed - manage to mute the traits of the other. An interesting, quick read. I think knowing the heredity of your orchids, when possible, is paramount in caring for them.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Scott. I am still pretty much blown away by the complex names, but I'm reading a lot and learning.

Now I'm starting to worry about keeping all my new 'chids warm enough through the winter. As you say, knowing their heritage will help to know which ones are more cold sensitive etc.

The lady who sold me my first Brassavola at Selby Gardens said she keeps hers outside all year 'round and that they survived the last two hard winters just fine. But I think I'll bring Bl. Yellow Bird inside, along with the phals if it's going to be cold again this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.