virginia knotweed

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I need some info about virginia knotweed.

I have a couple patches, courtesy of some passing bird, I guess, since I didn't plant them.
They're the generic variety with the maroon chevron on the leaves.
They are blooming now.
I first noticed them the last year or two, but this year they've spread in a couple places to sizable patches.
I think they look nice.

Are they invasive?
I'm always suspicious when I see something thriving in my yard that it must be invasive.
Here's one patch.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

The spikes of flowers are tiny, but they're bright red and there are multitudes of them.
Looks like sprays of fireworks.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a couple patches of white-flowering plants also.
Is it the same species?

Any info would be appreciated.
I'd hate to let another garden thug get started, in case it's a bad actor.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Monroe Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

Weerobin, I purchased the plants in your picture from Bluestone a few years ago. Here in my garden it is HIGHLY invasive. I am constantly pulling out volunteers and I find them everywhere.
In the Spring I am literally pulling out hundreds of them. However, fool that I am, I still left one plant in my garden because I do like the red flower sprays.

Here is some info on that plant:

Persicaria virginiana 'Lance Corporal'

Virginia jumpseed

5" oval green leaves with single chevron of red–brown, like a Corporal's uniform stripe, arranged alternately on stems to 3'. Spikes of tiny red flowers emerge in September and persist until frost. Wonderful colorful architectural plant for partial to full shade.

Care Instructions:
Reseeds generously but easy to transplant or cull where not wanted.

Colors: Green, Red
Category: Perennials
Garden(s): Bosque
Family: Polygonaceae
Zones: 5,6,7,8,9
Origin of Species: North America
For Sale: No
Native New Yorker: No
Blooms: September
Height: 42"
Width: 48"
Light: Medium
Moisture: Medium

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey Cheryl...another Jersey girl huh? Monroe twp as in Middlesex county? My fil lives there and we have a friend that works for the twp

Hey, FlowAjen, yup another Jersey girl and yes, the Monroe Twp. in Middlesex County. Small world.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Weerobin - I have it in two areas having deleted it in one spot where it would have become invasive since it's a wet area. Keeping it in dry shade will control it (for me) but it poses the danger of being very invasive if it receives rain or gets watered. Careful!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cheryl come over and visit the Northeast forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_ne/all/ ...we do a lot of Round Ups( that's what a plant swap is called here) and other get togethers...great group of gardeners

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info, everyone. I think I'd better start pulling it up.
I don't need another headache.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.