Thumbnail by mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

And a close up of the back view.

Thumbnail by mittsy

It's about 21 inches tall.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Repotted showing proper level. I purchased this one from Reflection Riding, Chatanooga TN. In 2010 in May. It hasn't bloomed for me yet.

Thumbnail by mittsy

I hope by comparing these pictures to your plant you'll be able to determine what you have.

South Hamilton, MA

Sounds too deep to me.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If you can feel a midrib, I'm not sure what the iris is. It could be a Japanese. They often don't bloom for two years. And the leaves seem wide for siberians, but then there are tetraploid siberians that have wider leaves.

I would take a couple of divisions off the plants, consisting of 10 fans or so. Then soak them really well for a couple of days in water and some Miracle Gro, if you have it. Very light on the Miracle Gro.

Then plant them with some fertilizer mixed in the planting hole, mulch well, and keep watered until ground freeze. Some of the beardless irises are very heavy feeders and reluctant bloomers without fertilization, so I fertilize every two weeks with Miracle Gro, and put 10-10-10 on them in spring and late summer (about now), because now is when they are setting the flowers for next year.

If we can get one to bloom we should be able to identify it.

Flaming hoops, Natalie.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

This is all great information, but I'm afraid to say that it's going to have to wait a bit. I'm leaving for vacation, and won't be back until the middle of October. I'll see what the weather is like then, before I decided to divide them. I also need to figure out how to divide them, because nothing looked obvious on the chunk I dug up.

Thanks again for all the help!

It's a flaming baton, not flaming hoops! I can only go so far!

Natalie

Have a great vacation!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Have a great vacation! If you want to divide when you come back, let me know and I can show you pics.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.