Happy Happy Birthday to Sallyg !!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hoping the specialness of this Birthday equals or exceeds the specialness and sweetness of you. Sallyg!

Enjoy your day.

Judy

Thumbnail by coleup
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Have a great day. We sure enjoyed seeing you at the swap.

Thumbnail by ecnalg
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday!!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday, Sallyg!! Enjoy your special day and the exciting autumn season. Now's the time to plan ahead for a great new year.

Fnff

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

A belated happy birthday!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oops, sorry I missed it...

Hope it was a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! Did I miss your Birthday?????? Shame on me!!!!

Happy belated one! Hope you did something special....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry I missed it Sally! Hope your day was fantastic!

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

sorry I missed it too...hope you had a wonderful birthday Sally!

Thumbnail by wind
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gracious...how much later can I possibly be.....Hope you had an amazing bday, my friend....hugs

Thumbnail by Chantell
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

LOL Chantell, only not as late as ME!! I must have totally forgotten to check for new threads...busy week
Thank you all, for all the beautiful flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a nice Bday weekend with some garden time and dinner at a Thai restaurant- something unusual for us and all enjoyed it, more memorable than going to a our regular haunts.

Crozet, VA

I will join the others who were late in wishing you a Happy Birthday. I hope the upcoming year will prove to be one of your very best Sally. You are such a dear woman and I have loved you from minute one. You have given me some of the heartiest laughs here at Dave's and I believe we are a very fortunate group to have you.

The plants I received from you at Jill's Swap are all happy so far. Thank you so much for being so kind and giving.

Ruby

Thanks Ruby!
I've been thinking of you two and hope this nice weather has helped give you some time of peace and healing contemplation.

My cute as a button Hens and Chicks are likewise happy!

Crozet, VA

Thanks so much Sally. Things seem to be settling somewhat around here. For a few weeks it seemed as though every thing had been turned up side down and it is hard getting through things when feeling like that. Yes, the cooler weather is healing in itself I believe, now that I give some thought to it. I suppose John feels as though he did the very best by his friend Jerry that he could under the circumstances. There were household and garden projects that Jerry wanted done and John saw to it that every thing on Jerry's list was done before he passed. John drove many trips northward this past nine months but not one second will ever be regretted.

Anyway......glad the hens and chickies are doing well. I might have more in the spring to share, but have to wait and see. If they do as well as they did this past year, there ought to be plenty to go around. I too am enjoying all of the wonderful goodies that you shared with me. A couple of weeks ago I thought I had brought the Tropical Hibiscus indoors to spend the winter. At the swap, the non-Dave's Gardener's friends of Jill's gave me a Japanese Maple which was about the very same size as the Hibiscus and I happened to look a few days ago and I had brought the Maple inside and left the Hibiscus outdoors. It seems none the worse for the wear as we haven't yet had really low temperatures. Thank you so much for tagging it, or I would have never known....they look almost identical.

Enjoy your day.

Ruby

It sounds like John gave 110% to Jerry, and that is very special. I'm so sorry John lost such a precious friend. I can't imagine anyone doing any more for a frined than John did. He'll never regret that.

Yes that tropical Hbiscus does look almost identical. 'Coleup' gave me a cutting from a new plant of hers, a couple years ago, and thats where it came from.

Crozet, VA

Oh cool about the origin of the Hibiscus. Thanks Coleup. I have some Bleeding Hearts in my garden that came from her too. Either of you care to offer any care tips to the ignorant?

Ruby

Coleup gave me white bleeding hearts. They seem qute hardy. Right now they have died down but they were up nicely this spring in a shady spot. near maples.
I have one pink bleeding hearts from earlier purchase? swap? and it has grown slowy in a shady spot.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby--

I have to agree with sally----Bleeding Hearts do not need much care....just not direct sun.
They grow from corms, of sorts, much like Peonies.
They get bigger each year, I have had one experience where my BH rotted out. Must have gotten some kind of
root fungus. or--maybe too much rain? Either way--I imagine dousing it with some Fungicide would not hurt.

I also have a BH that I got from coleup--it is pink. I got it from her 2 or 3 years ago...she brought it to sally's b/c she could
not come to the swap. It was potted in a 3gal. pot and so it sat all summer on the E. side of my house.
Then--come fall, I planted it in my small bed by the front door of my house. Just early AM sun--then shade.
It did well this Spring.....
When the leaves turn yellow and yukky--you can cut them off. Just like on a Peony. Just mark the spot! BH's die back
completely in the Fall.
I believe they like to have some Bone meal sprinkled around them (Yes? Sally???) just like any other bulbs.

Ruby--do not fret! Just let it be--and it will do it's own thing... Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

And, Ruby, as for the hibiscus cutting Sally passed on to you from my plant....If I can get my old computer to fire up another time I'll tell you the name. As far as overwintering it, all I know is that it isn't hardy! lol, mine always shrivel up and drop their leaves! The one you have has very deep mahagony/maroon blooms and I believe the leaves are multi-colored. Think the name is Haight Ashbury!

link to care...Gets 5 or more feet tall! Good luck.

Bloom

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup, thats it! But you do bring that inside for the winter right?
It was generous of you to let me cut that baby's head off and keep it- but you knew what we were doing , because it rooted like a champ. Mine have not bloomed but this year I have one big one with several branches and one with just one tall stalk. Mine are solidly purple/ red at this point, I may have lost the amazing streaks of light color the first one had.
I think thats' the name- I remember it was a "hippie place" but couldn't think of the one.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes Sally, you have to bring it in as its only hardy to 28 degrees or zone 9 or ten.

Oops, forgot to leave the link

http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/64189/1269390.html

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

It's a really pretty plant. Hope you and Ruby are able to keep yours going. Judy

Thumbnail by coleup

THats gorgeous! . I'll get a picture of mine, its very much red.

Crozet, VA

Thanks everyone. I love the name of it....a hippie place. hahaha Yes, the HA Hibiscus is losing it leaves. Any special tips for keeping it alive this winter Cole or Sally? I have spent a major portion of the past two days tending house plants. I still have a lot of maintenance to do on some. I have a lot of vases with rootings that need cleaning and fresh water, so that will be this afternoons main job.

I have tried growing bleeding Hearts for years and must have some critter who loved to eat them. Thankfully the several I received from Cole made it through the summer and did well. Maybe the critter moved on to greener pastures or maybe the little sucker died. Whatever, I was glad that the BH's survived and actually thrived this year.

The Pharmacy I use has agreed to allow us to display some of the houseplants we had left over from selling at the Farmer's Market this summer. Their front window is now home to about ten or so plants that they will help us sell. So far two of the employees have bought a plant each. John put in some sort of shelf he had a neighbor make the other day and when I go there on Tuesday I will see how things are looking. I potted up so many things that didn't sell and inside space is very precious, so even if the plants don't sell, at least they are not taking up room here.

Anyway.....very interesting topic we have going in celebration of Sally's birthday. I have a birthday coming up on October 25. Fifty six big ones......really never thought I would see the day that I would be known as grandma and be this age. Life never ceases to amaze me.

Hope that everyone had a good weekend and that the upcoming week is great for you too.

Ruby

Hey, really neat about your plants on display in the store!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

WHAT? Where was I?

Happy Happy Belated Birthday my coincidental friend!

chuckle at ya-- Thanks anytime!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

A smile and a hug!

Crozet, VA

Sally, we have actually sold four of them, so hooray!!!

Ruby

That is fantastic. Best wishes to continue!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.