Palm tree problem, need help

San Jose, CA

I have 2 palm trees in my front yard.

Now my grass full of small palm trees. any idea what should I do? I want to change to something that seed can not grow. Too expensive to cut the tree.

Help please!

Thanks!

Hellen

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hellen

for now you will have to just pull the seedlings, now if you are a chemical user, I'm sure there is something out there to spray and kill them. Funny as I collected seeds this spring and planted them, all grew, now it is what to do with them....LOL

San Jose, CA

But If I use chemical, will kill my grass too?

Thanks!

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I don't know anything about palms but I'd think mowing would do them in.

San Jose, CA

maybe I didn't make very clear. I have grass in my front yard, 2 big palm trees on the side, palm seed falling on the grass, when watering the grass, the palm seed grow so fast, a lot too. So I stop water the grass, then grass died. but a lot of little palm tree still there, green.

I'm thinking to re do my front yard, I want something seed can not grow. Even artificial grass, they can not guarantee that.

hope to get some ideas from here.

Thank you!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

There are "broad leaf" weed killers that might kill the palm seedlings without harming your grass. Ask at one of your local garden centers--they should be able to recommend a specific type of weed killer that will work for your situation.

San Jose, CA

Thank you!

I'll try that.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

No pain no gain springs to mind here, your grass has already died due to lack of proper care / water, you have bare soil where a lawn once was and now there is even more bare soil for palm tree's to send down seeds, you don't have to water for the seeds to grow, nature has it's own way of helping seeds, how do you think weeds grow in the wild eh !!!!.

to my minds thoughts you are going to waist a lot of money, time, and mental struggle IF you don't spend the time / money having the dreaded palms removed before you re-turf / grow lawn seed whatever way you go you will have the same problems next year and every year there after because the problem is still the palms.

I know it is quite expensive to have trees removed and the wood taken away, but have you advertised for someone to remove the palms AND take the wood for fuel /heating etc,
Have you asked for say a scout group to come and remove the palms as say a project, even try a horticultural collage to ask if tutors want to do a project for there students as this will help both parties, there are lots of ways to get free help OR small donation given to anyone who want the project.
To re-turf /lawn seed you are making a nice piece of ground for future seeds from the palms and it will continue every year from now. hope this gives you some ideas and you find the solution to this massive problem, but to try do a cheep job now will be money down the drain really.
Good luck, WeeNel.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Back to my mowing question. What happens when you mow them. Do they become little bushes or do they die. I've never seen a tree that would tolerate that kind of mowing.

As far as having some amateur cut the palm down, don't! If it is close enough to your house or worst a neighbors to hit it and something goes wrong it is going to cost you a bunch of money at best. If there are underage children involved and one is killed cutting a tree down in your yard hope the DA isn't running for reelection.

Cutting a tree down in a field or woods is a whole different animal from taking one down between houses.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Call a landscaping company many down here will usually remove for not too much especially if they can reuse the palms then some will pay you....

Removing the Palms is the only sure fire way of getting rid of the seedlings.

Jan

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi Doug, you are so right about NOT allowing armatures to cut down trees close to your or neighbours property but the fact that scout groups, Horticultural collages and County officers all have people with different expert's doing big and small projects BUT, as with anything you cant manage yourself, it is always best to ask anyone who wants to work on your property "have you got experience" insurance, or proper safety gear, this lets you know from the start IF the workmen are able to do a proper job with safety in mind for all concerned. Most will carry paper work to show their skills.

As Meadowyck said, some companies will even remove the tree's IF they are allowed to reuse the wood. the best thing to do is to look around, ask other people, phone county office for people who do this work, paying for the work is last resort but the problem will repeat every year when the the trees flower and shed the seeds. better less cost would be to climb a ladder and chop off the bunches of seeds but that would be even more dangerous, best get people who know this type of work as Doug said.
Good luck, WeeNel.

western sydney nsw, Australia

I have 12 very large Queen Palm trees around my yard . This is how I control my palm seeds Summer is the time they flower and set fruit any falling in the garden I leave I rack the lawn once a week fill about 5 buckets they go in rubbish bin mostly they fruit and fall over 3 months - any thate have been missed and have started to grow they are easy to pull out when only small .
I find it handy having some growing in the garden some times I need a quick fix space filled so pot a bunch in a pot or hanging basket great greenery for over winter .
here is a pic I just took to show how many I have in a close space its dark its 6:30 P.M.
Good luck trying to control the seeds.----------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut
Los Angeles, CA

I’ve begun maintenance on a turf area that I’m trying to rescue. It appears to have been tall fescue at one time, but when I came into the picture in early spring, the turf area looked more like a cabbage patch with all the plantain and broadleaf weeds. It’s been two weeks since I applied a product containing 2,4-d and triclopyr so now the dying weeds are clearing up enough to give us a look at what else we’ve got — namely, palm shoots. The lawn is surrounded by washingtonia palms!
I came here hoping there was some advice, perhaps some product, that would take out the palms without killing the turf.

Obviously the product labeled for broadleaf weeds has no effect—palms are monocots, like grass, and the herbicides for broadleafs go after dicots. You’d need something labeled for grassy weeds, like a product that kills crabgrass, dallisgrass, goosegrass, etc — without killing the fescue. I’m not sure if something like that exists.

Mowing doesn’t kill the little suckers. What looks like turf from a distance is actually a million palm shoots that get mowed regularly.

So far I like Sammut’s post...his approach seems to be timing of raking up the seeds and pulling out the shoots from the ones you didn’t get.

I’m thinking there must be a strategy with pruning the trees. If the trees were pruned at just the right time, maybe you could keep them from flowering and producing seed. However, I’m sure that could get expensive.

Anyhow, I’ll post an update if I have a breakthrough!

Thumbnail by Groundscreeper

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.