Look at what I got

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I first posted this photo August 8, asking for advise as to what it was. Now I know for sure what it is. Thanks to all for their advise, Amaryllisgal, KayJone, Pbyrley, Liatris39 and Helenethequeen.

Thumbnail by floridagardner
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

It's amazing.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Maybe I'm meant to be a farmer.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, isn't he cute?!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

How big is it and are you sure it's a desirable melon?

You mean there's an 'undesirable' watermelon?!!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Sugarweed, I sure hope its desirable. It look very desirable. The fruit is really getting large and hopefully I'll be able to harvest before the cooler weather set in. I'm not too sure when to harvest as I've only gotten melons from the market. As a child my grandfather grew melons, but I don't remember when he harvested them. I'll keep everyone posted on the continued progress. Dorothy

Dorothy, it will be ripe and ready to pick when the stem dies and the part attached to the melon turns brown. My dad used the 'thump' method - when you think it is ripe, pick it up and hit it with your knuckles - if it makes a 'hollow' sound, it's supposed to be ripe.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Dorthy I bet it's a great melon. As it came on late in the summer I'd think it would be mid October before she's ripe.
We usually don't get cold until after Thanksgiving and sometimes after Christmas in Jacksonville.
This is a great time to be down at Okeechobee. Highs around 90º and 70ish nights.
(I may start looking for a home down here.)
Keep us posted on the melon's growth.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.