Brugmansias in September 2011

West of Brisbane, Australia

Here they are again, Chrissy's Firefighter Angel (Ludgers Windsong X New Orleans Lady) and my double pink (Peanut X Ruffles and Flourishes).

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217188/

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Wonderful !!!!! I am thrilled ! and thankyou.
and here it comes ....the Angel Parade ... bring it on, babies teenagers, ugly , beautiful, pods, seeds,we want to see them all.

cestrum more please ...can't get enough of these darlings, I haven't seen FFA in close up for three years and even then it was only the bottom ones on the flush, a month later they were too tall, can't imagine how tall they would be in the ground instead of an odd roots or two escaping. And your pretty darling ...loving that pretty colour, unlike the very dark ones (though I would love some like that too) I like the dreamy soft colours, ethereal and heavenly to my eyes.

Merino, Australia

Finally , I am seeing more green shoots on the brugs. Of course the two stars are powerring on ( GHA & BB)
No tantrums and shedding of leaves for those two. You would not know I had chopped half the top from BB as there are fresh leaves to cover the cuts and more flowers.
If GHA gets any taller. I will need a stepladder to smell the flowers and pollinate. .
I have another of him in the ground but it looks like growing way up there too.
I have just been spraying Confidor around all the brugs and epis. It looks like being a bug year here where I usually see hardly a one.
Must be all the rain and damp bringing out millions more sluggies.
I do notice here, the double white are never touched at all by anything. Maybe the extra furry leaves or maybe they just taste awful.
How do you all find them with bugs ?
I was laughing to myself while I was out there. A touch of warm sun and the brugs are all sulking . Anyone coming in would think the plants were dying.
Wimpy B***s. What are they going to do when summer gets here ?
I suppose they will expect me to be running around with sun umbrellas.
Not likely LOL....
My little babies are looking great. I had to open up the greenhouse door and let the hot air out. Boy, it was like a sauna.
I have more of the USA seeds coming up now and another of mine.
Better get back out side and do a bit more while its nice.
Jean.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Some of them are definitely wimpy, Jean....I have an OS teenager, that faints at the sight of the sun...
talk about a wilter.....he's a beaut at it.....the minute that the sun goes down he's up and at it...come to think of it that's what teenagers do...sleep all day and rage all night....

Your seeds are growing really well now, getting taller each day...
Nothing eats Knightii here,Jean....except caterpillars...but it's too early for them....

cestrum the pic of your's and Chrissie's beauties in their pale mode is lovely.....looking forward to a pic when they get their deeper colour going.......
My one and only seedpod is still there....7mnths now....perhaps it needs a caeser.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

> Chrissy's Firefighter Angel (Ludgers Windsong X New Orleans Lady) and my double pink (Peanut X Ruffles and Flourishes).

Beautiful Cestrum! Looking at your pic reminds me of a gelato bar.

barmera, Australia

The latest pic of my Vulsa. It's about 10" tall now. The 2 small ones on the left are the sanguinea seedlings. We might see flowers on the vulsa this season. We can only hope. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

The pastel colours are pretty--*almost* good enough to eat! Of course, I'd like pastels and the stronger colours too :-) Here's another bloom this morning. I could smell the lovely perfume as I handled the flower.

Colleen, is that vulsa a seedling? And only 2 months old?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here are the innards, nice and clean. Not deformed like a lot of blooms on my double pink.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And here's the Golden Butter#2 seedling I was pollinating with the FFA pollen. The bloom has just opened and hasn't had a chance to darken yet. It's a tall sapling that I tied to the orchid tree as it leaned right across the path--you had to be a gymnast to duck under it. So it had to be untied to allow me to bend the branch down, pollinate it, then retie the branch ... only to find that in the process the FFA-pollinated flower had been knocked off :-(

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

awwwwww what a shame ! So sorry that happened. You should expect FFA to bloom quite quickly again, once it starts it is a great repeater, I used to see tiny buds right behind a flush, so fingers crossed for the next time it flushes.
Yes FFA and Twilight Time both often throw a double that you can actually see the "bits" required for crossing.
I am so happy Twilight Time is a bit more shrubby than the towering FFA. Great pics of the bloom innards from FFA. By the way never ever seen a single on them after many flushes.

Yes Wayne gelato colours ! yummy, luscious, mmmm.

Colleen they bloom quite quite quickly compared to warm season Brugs so good luck . The heat will be the worry so keep them in the coolest part of the garden through the hot times.

Dianne I think the pods take longer in cool climates ...it won't be long once the days are warm, it happens very quickly sometimes overnight, the pods start to soften and look a bit rotten. Usually you can tell it's time by the colour of the stem ..you can actually see the food being cut off as the stem starts to yellow off and turns a straw colour. Good luck !

Can't wait to see yours Jean it's going to huge flushes because your plants are so mature!

It's warming up out there time to go after I fix morning tea for the boys ...can't wait, love playing in the dirt ! the wasps are out early though.

I would say in about a month from now I will be able to send the cuttings promised in Winter ...the plants are starting to move quite quickly now and the growth lost from bad weather is starting to get on with it. Whew !

Enjoy your day everyone out there !

Oops forgot to say ...Jean I am planting your seeds today ...most sank overnight so I am happy to say it should not be long before they germinate.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Soaking seeds today too Chrissy - some of yours, Cestrum's, Allan Little's and from Edna Murphy US. All in jars of water until tomorrow morning.

Merino, Australia

Here are my babies today. Still small but they will grow quickly once the warmer weather arrives properly. "Baby" and his 3 friends are already out in bigger pots.

Wayne, I have 6 buds on 'Giant'

Cant wait to see them. The plant is about 3 1/2 foot tall so doing well. I like cuttings because they grow better especially when its cold and they flower quicker too. ( provided the cuttings were above the Y ones )
All your others are still growing but taking time to recover from the awful cold in 2010 winter.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Victoria, Australia

Wow, that vulsa seedling is thriving, congrats Colleen.

Chrissy, how are the sang seedlings going?
Your arborea cutting is shooting nicely (and the congo cockatoo Impatiens are flowering already :)).

Victoria, Australia

Jean, I just had a look and some of your Iochroma cuttings already have roots!
great.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thanks for the update on 'Giant' Jean. I hope it does well for you. BTW, your poppy seeds are up and some ready to bloom!
Must go peel some Brug seeds. Soaked overnight.

Merino, Australia

Wayne, the other cuttings are still growing well too, but no Y as yet ( Sr Bertrille, Mea Culpa )

I have hardly any poppies here now. It seems they have all just never grown again . There are only one or two of the mauve which come up each year. I still have seed but have given up throwing it around.
I think they do better when its drier.

Jean.

My poppies aren't doing anything this year either , maybe late.
Lucas my cold climate seeds don't like this heat and are dawdling ...I will plant more next Autumn as I have my hands full taking care of the easier ones and the garden right now , I have a lot of other stuff going on inside let alone outside ^_^ glad your cuttings are going well, well done I think that means strike those hard to strike cooler temp plants in the Winter instead of the Spring and Summer (at least in my area ) that is very good news for those interested.

Wow it is super hot out there ...I moved my Maya into more Sun but it's making me nervous , she is a slowish grower for me so I figured perhaps it was too much shade. Oh well I might have to see how it goes ...and perhaps move again.

Enjoy your arvo everyone

Knightii is flowering very well at the moment but can't make up it's mind what to be, single, double or maybe a bit of both..... three flowers with different innards.
Thanks cestrum for reminding me about Irfanview...I forgot that I had it and how useful it was.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 2:47 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

They are stuffed skirts ...stuffed skirts tend to stay stuffed in some conditions or will drop after a couple of days.
Aren't they pretty .
Knightii doubles usually drop their skirts (here any way.).

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 3:00 PM

Pink Panther last year, when it did the same thing with it's petaloids.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Victoria, Australia

But the sang seedlings are still going, Chrissy?
Sometimes I find the seedlings can go completely dormant in the hot weather and then suddenly resume growth when it cools down again in Autumn.
Though as you say it's perhaps best to start them in Autumn anyway.

Well I think it's been said before but sanguinea can actually survive conditions of extreme heat perhaps moreso than is commonly believed, they just don't like it (for example mine have survived heatwaves almost every year, including temperatures approaching fifty degrees on Black Saturday)
Yeah I don't like the chance of rooting Sphaeros in summer though (well it's probably possible, maybe flava and arborea may be better able).

Jean, how are your sang cuttings going? If successful they should flower for you by Autumn.
Sometimes the cuttings can just sit there for 3 months apparently alive (but not growing), then either proceed to finally successfully root, or suddenly collapse and die overnight.
Also I am happy to report your Io australe alba is bursting into life. In fact, its already got roots coming out the bottom of the pot! lol

Merino, Australia

Lucas, I am pleased to report that a few more sang seeds have sprouted. It is about the first real warm weather they have had since starting . The cuttings are , as you say, just sitting there looking at me. They are not wilting , but not growing either. The little sucker is now in a big pot . I moved him this morning.
his leaves are different to the other cuttings. They are smoother and a lighter green. The sang cuttings have furry grey/ green leaves.
Just for fun, I planted some of the sang seeds a bit later in several mixes to see what difference it made. One is succulent mix, one is potting mix and the other is a mix of seed raising mix with perlite and coir fibre. . All the seeds are starting to sprout. Looks like I will have a forest of sangs . Hopefully they will all survive.
My 2 arborea seedlings are growing well , now around 3 1/2 foot high. No sign of any Y yet though.

BB & GHA are getting into a new flush .
Jean.

Victoria, Australia

Glad to hear it Jean,
They just vary... that pre-rooted sucker is actually off the same plant!
Just different growth phases and microclimate (below a Y and more shade) I believe.

Don't be scared to inspect the cuttings for signs of roots too, they are very tolerant of root disturbance in my limited experience.

I will be interested to hear of the results of your different seed raising mix trials.

Shouldn't be too long now for a Y on your arborea?

Your GHA cutting looks good.

Elfin Pink is flowering again. What I wanted to show was the two-toned colour of the unopened bud, which I find very pretty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

That is pretty Cestrum. I must watch mine this year .
Jean.

That is a very bright colour isn't it....lovely.

Clementine almost out....even though the flower burst out of it's calyx, it looks normal.
The calyx on the other side is torn...
All the buds on Clementine are erect, so erect that to call them nodding wouldn't be accurate.
once the flower opens then they start to nod...

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Cairns, Australia

I read and look at the forum about 3/4 times a day to learn and see the wonderful blooms and the doubles are wonderful, were can you get them, I lost my variegated, Culebra, and my only 2 seed pods, but here is my big y.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Normally Gena, I would suggest you use http://elarishtropicalexotics.com...but due to the Cyclone they experienced...I couldn't find any Brugs for sale...no doubt they will have more soon....you can email them to inquire.....good prices, good stock.
There is another but a bit expensive, called Sacred Gardens..here is the web site.
http://www.sacredgardenfrangipanis.com

I am glad that you are checking the posts.....for some reason I couldn't enlarge your big Y......
There is so much to learn...bad luck about your pods, mine is still hanging on...if I get some seeds I will send you some...
Dianne.

barmera, Australia

Dianne, I think that Sacred Gardens have got their brugs named wrongly. Chrissy or Alistair will know for sure. Colleen

Cairns, Australia

Thank you so much.

The seedling brugs such as FFA and my double pink aren't available commercially because they are hybrids that have been grown from seed by hobby gardeners, like most of us here. The seed from doubles generally comes from overseas--you can search ebay for seed from ArghyaGardens or join BGI and received a selection of seeds each quarter for only the cost of postage (plus your yearly membership subscription). When we have cuttings available of our seedling brugs, we generally let people know here on this forum ...

Cairns, Australia

Thank you, every day you learn some. I had 17 bloom and it has a small trunk .

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

I did the big y again with new picture, the same so I can tell you the y tips are about a foot of new growth. so there are growing well.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

It looks really healthy, Gena......If you are serious about growing lots of Brugs, take cestrum's advice and join BGI.....it is well worth it....

Also have a look at this one.
This is an excellent site for learning about the physical side of the plants..it will help if you want to cross some...
http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm Bookmark it for yourself....
You can check out your Brugs for Asymmetrical/Subequal leaves.....which occur in the flowering region..
Colleen, I answered your question in a Dmail.

Clementine this morning...The perfume is wonderful as always but I couldn't figure out why it looked different....
6 POINTS

This message was edited Sep 20, 2011 8:49 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

Dianne he actually has 7 POINTS doesn't he? How beautiful is that? Colleen

Wish it did but, the extra one is from the 2nd skirt which is not fully formed..

barmera, Australia

Here's my poor mutilated Clementine. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

BB showing off. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.