want a (much) smaller Bleeding Heart next spring

(Zone 4b)

This past spring my three year old "Bleeding Heart" was much too big and I made a mental note to do "something" before next spring.

I dont want to divide it for the purpose of propagating it but just....'cut some out' so it will be much more compact next spring.

So how should I best do this?

Do I use a shovel and slice off some of the plant all the way around the circumference?

Can I do it now or do I have to wait till early spring?

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

There is a dwarfed variety of bleeding heart, it grows easily but is not as good-looking as the taller varieties, However it grows and transplants easily.

(Zone 4b)

As you said correctly the dwarf variety is not nearly as spectacular. I guess I will accept the oversize to get the beauty each spring.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I know the feeling. I bought two about 3.5 years ago and they get HUGE now but oh so beautiful.

Doug

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

There is a white flowered variety which is of a similar size but a nice color contrast to the usual "lipstick" color. I have had one flourishing in partial shade with absolutely no maintenance from me for at least six years.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's the white one (dicentra spectabilis alba).
There's a new one called 'ivory hearts'.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

I love my Fernleaf Bleeding Heart. Doesn't get real tall and blooms almost all summer. One of the few plants I have never gotten a picture of!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

there are 2 varieties that bloom all summer. I forget the name of one of them, but the other is Exima.
rouge, I think you could dig straight through yours, maybe divide it into 3 parts and give away 2.

(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the advice woodspirit1.

Just a bit off topic but this newer "Bleeding Heart" called VALENTINE seems very nice ie darker red flowers, reddish stems and maybe less large than an 'old fashoined' "Bleeding Heart"?

North Chelmsford, MA(Zone 6b)

I love my dicentras! You ask if you can chop them; I have chopped my spectabilis while almost dormant to successfully move it , and the little pieces remaining when I moved the main plant created another clump. The little ones (I have Formosa) seed wildly--I have a nice one in the middle of my clethra! Even my ephemeral d. cucullaria (dutchman's breeches) seems to spread involuntarily when chopped by the Mad Gardener.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I had seen Valentine in a couple catalogs - it does look nice. I may have to check it out...
And, quilt, my dutchman's breeches are also creeping about. The foliage is so nice and lacy, I don't mind.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I love the yellow.

At the old house, I would just rip out what i didn't want and bury somewhere else and up it came. Tough - no special handling. Those were light pink.

Russell, ON(Zone 5a)

I have a large Dicentra 'Goldheart' and love it. This year I'm going to try a peony ring to help control it a little.

Thumbnail by a5footsea

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.