Firecrackers? What are these plants?

Merida, Centro, Mexico(Zone 11)

They seem to be thriving among sanserveria and other green leaf bigger plants. They are 6"-8" tall and look as though an occasional butterfly has gotten stuck on it. Colors range from bright red and then become greyer with age. I can relate.

They are hidden against a south wall under those other plants plus cherimuyo abd an annona.

I'd like to stay with the south wall but move them out from under to show them off. When I bought the plant a year or two ago, there was only one "bloom,' and look at it now!

Will I destroy it ifthe only shade is provided by golden cup vines and pitahya cactus? Travelers'ferns(?) would benearby, right around the corner.

And by the way, what are they? What's the plantcalled?

I live in tropical southeastern Mexico. Thanks, as always, for your help.. PS Can I post 2 photos?

Thumbnail by bbode

I continue to get error reports on this message. Briefly, I want to know the name of this plant and if I can plant it in a less shady place, aainst a south wall as it is now, however. I live in hot, humid SE Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula. Any and all advice accepted. I have no idea what I bought for 15 pesos that began to grow enormously.

As always, great gratitude for your wisdom.

Barbara

Thumbnail by bbode
Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

Hi Barbara, that is what is called Shampoo ginger in english, Zingiber zerumbet. I have it growing in afternoon sun and it is large and healthy. In fact, I have to cut it back all the time because it tries to take over the space. I think you could move it to a southern exposure without any problems, it likes more sun than some of the gingers and heliconias, more like the red ginger that lives in full sun. Mine is very tall, 2 to 3 meters high, and I have to tie the stalks to keep them off the path.

Ah extranjera! Font of much of the wisdom I seek. My gardener and I each moved 1/2 dozen flowers and leaf stems.
We both have had successes and failures. By that I mean some of the leaves turned droopy and yellow almost instantly while the others flourished. Neither of us have had much experience except with this particular garden so we are kind of a trial and error team. I do feel a bit guilty about the 6 flowers--WHAT are they called?-- that we left behind in the relative dark. One has withered and died but the others are soldiering on. Thanks for your contribution to another conversation piece. Andale! bb

Yay extranjera! Washed my hair yesterday with a shampoo ginger rinse. Stll looks great this morning but it's only 4 am.

One of my house guests tried it and swore it gave him soft curls. Who knew? But you, of course! Mil gracias as always.

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

I've read that the juice from this ginger is an ingredient in Aussie brand shampoo, I think that's the name it's popular in the US. Glad it gave your friend curls.

Keaau, HI

'Awapuhi / Shampoo Ginger is an ingrediant in many hair products, but I've found that it works best by simply squeezing the juice from the flower bracts on to the hair; massaging it into the hair; letting it sit for about 30 minutes, then rinsing it out. It leaves your hair soft, manageable, shiny, and smelling good!

http://www.canoeplants.com/awapuhi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zingiber_zerumbet

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Metro, you sound like a connercial !

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree!! LOL

noonamah, Australia

In Australia it's called Beehive Ginger, but I've never found any bee colonies living in it.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

I have just got to get me some of them there shampoo gingers to restore my hair's luster, bounce and curliness!

Take care.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Keaau, HI

The goo in shampoo ginger is also good for the skin!

Add it to bath water, or stir it into a basin of hot water and towel it on with a washcloth.

Aloha, Dave

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Good to see you, Sylvain! I miss you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.