Hoping to id this weed

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

It does not grow in the lawn but in my shady side yard. The stems are red and the leaves are have a ferny-kind of look. the big deal is it smells, stinks, literally. I have attempted to google but keep getting links related to bad smelling marijuana (weed)!!! It pulls up easily but want to know its name so I know exactly what I am fighting!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I can't be sure without a picture, but possibly you are dealing with Geranium robertianum, otherwise known as Herb Robert and also called Stinky Bob. They are actually kind of pretty in my opinion, but are listed as a noxious weed because they apparently can invade the woodland understory and choke out native groundcover plants there.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes Yes! Thank you.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I love the smell of that weed! In fact, I love pulling it because I like the smell so much. Plus it's easy to pull, esp with the way it sits up high off the ground. One of my favorite weeds!!!!

LOL on google giving you the marijuana links. You do know that google studies what you search for and then personalizes your search links for you?!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Far out!! 2 ol' geezers here no longer wondering 'if we're going to San Francisco . . ' but trying to hook up w/ Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth.
Meanwhile, thankful for the rejuvenating therapy of wine! & wine in the garden is 2x as therapeutic . . fyi.

Seattle, WA

Yep, that's Stinky Bob all right. Even the Master Gardener couldn't recall the REAL name of the plant, and I fear I won't either. But how nice to have a weed that one really can fairly easily dig up---early and often is best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.