Daily butterfly pictures #91

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Thought it was time for a new thread, as this is getting too long. We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1209029/

Red Spotted Purple on Black Knight

Bruce

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Viceroy

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Newest tagged female--nice and healthy and she took off for points south as soon as released--you gals down south watsh for her!

Bruce

Thumbnail by BCH521
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Bruce for;
1). The lovely new thread with the RSP on Black Knight butterfly bush. The Viceroy is beautiful but how does one differentiate b/w Roy and his real Mccoy? I'm so crossed eyes confused. lol
2). Also thanks for sending that pretty female real "mccoy" down South. I'm def. watching for its arrival.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm so proud that I'm now able to pick out the Spicebush Swallowtail from the rest of the black Swallowtails. Thank you all who has been patiently pointing out the differences b/w those look-a-like butterflies.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Lily--the viceroy has a semicircle line on its wing--here is a side by side comparison. Also, hope to send many more south--just had the 1st one eclose after we had to destroy so many due to OE--I will be testing it soon, and hopefully it will be parasite free.

http://www.mongabay.com/0306.htm

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Good news, the 1st one to enclose after the OE infestation is parasite free! We tagged her and sent her south

Thumbnail by BCH521
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice going on the OE free butterflies. do you do the testing with tape?

I've been super busy so only lurking. I was surprised in this heat to see a Mourning Cloak the other day. Oh, and good news, I saw goldfinch eating some milkweed aphids.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sulphur

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

1st Pearl Cresent I've seen this year -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hairstreak (Gray?)

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

another view

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

and a hummer

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Marna, hope you'll have time to post some pix soon. Glad to learn that Goldfinch eats those dern aphids. J. I think you're right with that Gray Hairstreak, but need other confirmation. Your pics. make me smile. Love your garden.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I had no idea this 'purdy' is so brilliantly colorful! But its name escaped me.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

You've a Red Admiral Lily_love.
Gray Hairstreak

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hairstreak on tuberose

Thumbnail by jmorth
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

jmorth...stunning photos...love the back lighting.

Bruce those are wonderful. I just love the pictures on this thread...they make my morning much more special. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks J. for the Admiral's I.D. Love those pics. of the hairstreak.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Pipevine on the Pride of Barbados this morning. There were two of them just loving the blooms on this plant!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

monarch cat on gay butterflies

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

More cats on gay butterflies--they love this plant late in the season

Bruce

Thumbnail by BCH521
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

It's great to see so many cats on your plant, Bruce.
Russell, beautiful shot of the Pipevine, on the Pride of Barbados,, nice color combo.
I have not seen any Admirals this year, Kim. Glad you are getting some.
Jmorth, love the Hairstreak in your shots.

Maybe, just maybe I might have had some better shots of the Mourning Cloak, if I had remembered, to put my card back in the camera. Somebody was waiting for me, after I put the card back, and I felt under pressure to hurry up.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I found this tiny black caterpillar in my parsley. Is this a Black or Yellow Swallowtail?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Question Mark on dead wood.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Nice shots burn. I wish I had that much variety! Those pipevines were around all weekend, I saw a couple of small skippers and a sulphur of some type, but not much else. Lots of dragonflies, and those darn white flies are back....so hard to get rid of them, I am not sure I am going to try this year. They are just on the lantana, but man are they thick.

Yakmon

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from burn_2007 :
I found this tiny black caterpillar in my parsley. Is this a Black or Yellow Swallowtail?

Burn, you've got Black Swallowtail caterpillar! They're fun to watch. They grow rapidly. How I love all those variety you've seen. I've seen a Question Mark butfly, but not a Mourning C. I don't think.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Red Admiral came to visit this evening. What a beauty...I don't remember seeing one of these in the back yard before.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by yakmon
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Beauty of a photo there russell.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Monarch

Thumbnail by jmorth
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks J. Nice Monarch! I caught a glimpse of one of those today at work today. I guess they are on the move. The hummers are absolutely swarming at my house too! I am glad to see some activity picking up.

Russell

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

wow...some really nice photos!!

I have 4 BST cats out on the fennel and I released 2 Monarchs today!! I let my neighbor lady let them out. She is 80 and just thinks this is all so neat!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

2 left...and one should eclose tomorrow I think!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, Nan, that's so nice that you can share the wonder with your neighbor who hasn't the opportunity to see/ witness this miracle of life before. Your 'housing' of the chrysalides is unique. Could I see the whole set up please?

Oh congrats on the release of the 2 monarchs. Did you direct them down to Alabama before they head to Mexico? lol. My BSTs cats outdoor, as the weather cool down, their pupation is slowed down, I think. It took this one cat. over 48 hours, and it hasn't formed its cocoon.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Cabbage White

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gray Hairstreak

Thumbnail by jmorth
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Now that is a cool photo of the hairstreak! Keep em coming.

Russell

I just use a 20 QT container. I lifted the lid and held it up a bit to take the shot of the chrysalis. I put that net like tulle or what ever it is(not into sewing stuff!) wrapped over the lid & taped to the lid for them to attach their chrysalis too.

I had 1 male and 1 female yesterday. The 3rd one is out and is a female. I have not released it yet. Its wings are not completely dry and it is drizzling and cool here so I am wondering if I should hold it over until tomorrow.

My bad...when I released #3 I saw that is was actually a male!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 3:11 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I believe the cooler temp. does influent the development of my caterpillars. I have one that hasn't complete its chrysalis over two days. It wiggled when it's disturbed by other cat. but won't proceed any further. I I took the offender to a different spot and I placed it here;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.