September photos and chitchat

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm excited for you Olaf! I had 'Orange Zinger' once upon a time and it's so pretty.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn!

I'll put your name on a cutting as soon as they're ready. :)

Thanks Olaf,but I wasn't really begging...I promise.LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

You weren't, Lynn. It's all good. :)

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I can't wait to see the flowers open. Your sins. are adorable.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thank you! :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Achimenes erecta 'Tiny Red'. Any day now...

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972

Pretty foliage.Do you have to store the rhizomes in the winter?

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn!

Well, actually that's one of the Achimenes species with a pretty late season. I grew them from seed last year and they went dormant - pretty much over night - in late January and were dormant until June. The rhizomes were tiny and I hope that this time, the plant will make some bigger ones and more than the five or six that it made the last time around... :)

All Achimenes have this well defined dormancy period but usually they start in about April and are finished by about mid October. Their rhizomes are much tougher and tighter than Kohleria-rhizomes, for instance, and are very well suited to survive long periods of adverse conditions.

Achimenes erecta is the type species of the genus, btw., and has been in cultivation since the 1700s if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the info Olaf.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

You're welcome, Lynn!

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Very nice looking plants...as always :)

Connie

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone.
Below is not the best pic of a one of the vestiges of my AV/Gessie collection, whose name I can't quite remember. Got the cuttings from Gram a couple of years ago. Never bloomed under lights, but seems to be loving my bedroon window--who'd have thunk??? Lousy light, low humidity, and it took off! Anyone got a name? It's on the tip of my tongue...HA! :P

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Don't know her name, but she sure is pretty!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

That's without any doubt Gloxinella lindeniana. Not the easiest Gessie to bloom. Good job!

Very pretty.Welcome back Jan ^_^.Come on over and play bingo.

Lynn

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Yup! That's it! Gonna make a tag this time! Thanks !
Bingo sounds good! ^_^

This message was edited Sep 27, 2011 8:03 PM

This message was edited Sep 28, 2011 1:23 AM

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'California Gold'. First buds. As usual, the suspense is killing me...

I've been absent from the forum a bit lately. I have been very busy remodeling my kitchen and taking care of my partner Greg.

Also, the steady stream of boxes full of cuttings that all you wonderful folks out there keep sending me have kept me on my feet and helped keep me going through a month full of stress...

Thanks everyone for being so kind to me and for entrusting a novice grower like me with cuttings of your precious jewels! :)

That's a beauty Olaf!
You....a novice grower? Not hardly! I think both your thumbs are green LOL.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, I am. I got my first Kohleria cutting three years ago and have only gotten serious in early Summer last year... :)

I guess, I must have inherited the green thumb(s) from my mother and grandmother...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone!

Since this is the last day of September, I thought I'd post some pictures of what's blooming around here to brighten up the dreary Fall weather. :)

Sinningia 'California Gold':

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'California Gold', closeup:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Chippewa Twilight'. Still going strong while most of my other minis are taking a break.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia pusilla. They just won't quit. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Orange Zinger'. One of the best orange Sinningias.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Flirt'. Blooming and blooming and blooming...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Kapo' x 'Cinnamon Toast':

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Kapo' x 'Cinnamon Toast'. Another flower.

Great pictures Olaf! My Kohlerias are being stubborn about blooming right now.

Lynn

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

so pretty,droolinggggggggggggg.

Jan

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I thought it would be appropriate to bid the season farewell with some shots of tubers and rhizomes to remind us all that Spring will be back in a few short months. :)

Sinningia 'Seminole'. Doubled the size of the tuber in only one growing season. Missed to take a shot while dug up...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Gloxinella lindeniana. Cuttings going into panic mode and putting out aerial propagules (essentially rhizomes above ground) all over the place...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia eumorpha 'Saltao'. A shot from about a year ago when my very first Sinningia tuber went dormant. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Jester'. Rhizomes.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'California Gold' x leucotricha. Can't wait for Spring to arrive... :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And the pic. Duh!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Bach'. Rhizomes. Old picture, repost.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Chrysothemis friedrichsthaliana. I wonder how long they'll be dormant this time...

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I got a sin. tuber in a RR. What do I do with it? Should I put it in some potting mix and let it sit? I've never had tubers before, other than tulips and glads. And they won't grow down her in Florida. What a bummer that is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.