September photos and chitchat

Montgomery, AL

Hi all! I took the liberty to begin the September photos thread. Paliavana prasinata finally flowered after a three year wait!!!
It is dripping with ?nectar?water? begging to be fertilized. I attempted this, but the flower fell off the next day. Another bloom is opening today. Any suggestions on method of fertilization?

Thumbnail by jamiew
Montgomery, AL

Another view. Oh, and it doesn't have any scent to this nose, though I've read that scent is suppose to be foul.

Thumbnail by jamiew
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I have no clue. Maybe the blooms are short lived?? Never seen one of those before. I have a Sinn. sp. in bloom. Will take a pic and post it a little later.

Connie

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Wow! I don't know much about them,except they are water lovers.They are usually pollinated by bats,but is there any chance your plant self pollinated and then dropped it's flower?

Lynn

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Here it is!! Had to hold up the bloom :)

Touch of Spice

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

What a beauty Sis!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Wow Jamie! This is VERY COOL!!! Congratulations!

http://www.burwur.net/sinns/5praMain.htm

http://www.gesneriads.ca/paliav02.htm

From what I understand, you grow and feed it pretty much like any Sinningia but keep in mind that it doesn't develop a tuber. It will therefore need a bit more steady watering. I'd fertilize it 1/4 strength with every watering - just like any other Gesneriad. Since they don't seem to be very fast growers, I don't think that they would need more fertilizer than that.

Ask the good folks on gphiles for advice. I bet that someone has grown/is growing them and has some actual facts and not just vague assumptions like I do... LOL

Olaf

Montgomery, AL

Gorgeous sinningia Connie! They are 'happy face' flowers to me.
Thanks again for the links Olaf, very interesting. I water it at least every three days, with fertilizer all summer.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone. I'm still in lurk mode since I've been busy and stressed out for almost two straight months. I haven't forgotten about the Sinningia guttata seedlings (which are doing just fine btw.). I just haven't gotten around to shipping them. So sorry about that!

Anyhow. Here's the first flower on Kohleria 'Kapo' x 'Cinnamon Toast':

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Stunning flower! How big is the plant? Lou

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lou!

The plant is one of the larger, sturdier Kohlerias and about a foot and a half tall with a thick stem and medium to large size leaves. The flower is about two inches long and about an inch and a half in diameter.

Montgomery, AL

That is a really neat and different kohleria flower, Olaf. I love it!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jamie!

Here's Primulina/Chirita tamiana with all white flowers without the two typical purple stripes in the throat:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And the whole plant:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia pusilla, closeup:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia muscicola:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes, I do grow some Violets! LOL

And this one is one of my favorites: Saintpaulia 'Allegro Appalachian Trail'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

One more time:

Great pictures Olaf! I love the Kohleria.I just wish it didn't get so big.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn!

I know, right? She's a big girl. A foot and a half was probably a bit exaggerated anyway. Just over a foot right now is more like it. However, I'd expect her to grow to about a foot and a half once in full bloom.

She's definitely smaller than 'HCY's Jardin De Monet'.

Mother's Lipstick is a pretty one.How big does she get?

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

'Kapo' x 'Cinnamon Toast' is somewhere inbetween 'Mother's Lipstick' and 'HCY's Jardin De Monet', the latter being the largest.

I haven't had any flowers on 'HCY's Jardin De Monet' but they should be pretty large as well. 'Mother's Lipstick' has, by far, the smallest flowers of the bunch (about 1/2 the size of the flowers on 'Kapo' x 'Cinnamon Toast').

'Mother's Lipstick' has been blooming non stop for me starting in June or early July and is a little over a foot tall.

'Kapo' x 'Cinnamon Toast' just started blooming and is about a foot tall.

'HCY's Jardin De Monet' hasn't bloomed yet and is already over a foot tall with a stem that's 3/4" thick...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Bright Eyes'. Thanks Bonnie!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Texas Zebra'. Thanks Gail!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Lisa'. Thanks Gail!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

The orange one supposedly is Sinningia 'Neesa' (I doubt it but she's pretty anyway) and the red one is Sinningia 'Ozark Red Lightning'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Some more pure white flowers on Primulina/Chirita tamiana

Beautiful Olaf! I love that orange.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn!

I do too! I think, I'll just call her "Jane Doe"... LOL

Sounds good.I know we need to have proper names for our plants,but since there are not too many oranges it might be identifiable.....but not if it was grown frpm mixed seeds.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I actually received the plant from Belisle's before they shut their doors and you are right: Not too many orange minis out there, so there might be a chance... I'll take some more pics and ask the good folks on GPhiles. :)

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Olaf, they are all so pretty. I can't wait until I have a sinningia.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'California Gold' x leucotricha. First flower.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Orange mini Sinningia. Maybe S. 'Super Orange' or one of its offspring. In any case, I love the pop of vibrant orange. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Lisa'.

Montgomery, AL

I like Lisa. The doubles are really beautiful

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

For me, doubles are an acquired taste. I'm not too big a fan of them and only have a few. However, 'Lisa' is in my top ten of favorite mini Sinningias... :)

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Leucotricha cross sounds really interesting, are the leaves fuzzy too? Congrats on the 1st flower!

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Got the first bloom too, it's Alsobia Chiappas, thanks Jamie!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Montgomery, AL

Yeah! Your plant looks lovely with those beautiful green leaves. Its' mother just put on a nice performance for me also, but I wish it would save it for the local show in March. Does anyone know how to force an alsobia into bloom?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.