Chocolate Basil? Is the 3rd time the charm?

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL

Columbus, OH

I just now got the truck/initials thing, duuuuh. My initials are "REK", I don't know that anyone would want that on their vehicle, lol.

I am going to light a candle to Sasquatch that my rosemary does not get powdery mildew and croak over the winter.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Celene, I'll do the powdery mildew chant with you...big as this plants gotten for me and I'm going to just let it go for the winter........here's hoping.

Midland City, AL

I believe you, Vort! Do I get chocolate basil now?

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

I must say that Sansai87 has a sense of humor.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Well!!!!!!! Does she get the chocolate basil?

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Vort is probably searching for a polite way to phrase, "No. No way! No how! Ain't gonna happen." Sansai asked nicely so he has to do that. You know that doesn't come naturally to him, Vickie. I'm sure he will discover the Emily Post website soon.
If the rosemary is living inside, I would say direct a fan so it blows across the plant. I think air circulation is usually the culprit. But, that might blow out the candle lit to enlist the aid of Squatch. Is Qquatch the patron guardian of rosemary, as well as basil? k*

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

"No. No way! No how! Ain't gonna happen."

:)--Thanks kud

Midland City, AL

Celene, thanks for posting your soup recipe. That sounded so good I'm going to try and make some. Of course, a little chocolate basil to go in it would be nice. (Jim))

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

sea------"No. No way! No how! Ain't gonna happen." :)

Columbus, OH

Jim, which soup recipe was it? The pumpkin one? Everything's better with a little chocolate basil.

Celene, Keep the food distraction going..( You know how Men and Squatch are distracted by good cooking ).....I'm sneaking in the back garden gate to get the CB Goods..........^.^

Columbus, OH

Ummm...there's always pumpkin pull-apart bread. I've made it seven times in three weeks. No one can get enough. lol

Mmmm, that sounds yummy!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Food--FOOD-food !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Did someone mention food?
Drool.

See, I told ya that would get his attention.............

Columbus, OH

You're a genius. I may have to make a plate of brownies with fleur de sel caramel. And chocolate basil.

Midland City, AL

Yes, the pumpkin soup recipe. I didn’t see this Pumpkin Pull-Apart Bread. I did snag the Lentil Burgers recipe though. One of my SD’s is a vegan and she’s planning to be home for Thanksgiving. Poor kid ends up eating lots of Broccoli Salad over the holidays. When we make the rounds of family meals EVERYONE makes a broccoli salad just for her, meaning without bacon. She might come home for the holidays more often if we expand upon her broccoli diet.
What kind of spread is Chef Squatch planning, Vort? A Squatch can not live by CB alone. (Jim)

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Chef Squatch's Thanksgiving menu:

Soup:
Smokey Mountain Ramp soup- with wild hog sweat reduction.

Appetizer:
CB glazed deep fried compost fritters.

Entree:
Deep fried turkey with feathers intact--basted with road tar and then slowly smoked with old Dodge tires.

Sides:
4 day old boiled road kill smothered in celene pumpkin sauce (road kill is dependent upon the catch of the day)
Mashed ky opossum with gravy.

Salad:
Fresh mixed kudzu-poison ivy and oleander greens with used motor oil and vinegar dressing.

Dessert:
Frozen Key lime smothered land slugs.

I don't understand it but so far there have been no R.S.V.P.'s

This message was edited Nov 11, 2011 3:11 AM

Columbus, OH

No chocolate basil? Seriously?

Celene, I think Vort was trying to throw us off the track........
but he slipped...
CB in the Appetizer:
" CB glazed deep fried compost fritters"

Columbus, OH

Good grief, insomnia is kicking my butt. lol

I think I'd like some CB pesto with almonds (no garlic, just some turbinado sugar and vanilla bean) drizzled over some cheesecake.

I can supply the KY possum.

Columbus, OH

Or even Ohio opossum. My dog brought one into the house the other day.

Eeeew!

opossum "stew" ?????

Midland City, AL

At Amargia's old location, we had a 6' high back deck and it was built around an old oak. An opossum would come out of the woods at night, climb up on the deck and eat whatever dog food our dog, Shelby, had left in her bowl. But, he grew huge. One night he got stuck between the tree trunk and the decking frame. We had a devil of a time getting him unstuck. He still came back for dog food leftovers the next night. He used the stairs though. :-)
Tell Squatch, if the possum is so fat it waddles and it has a torn ear, he is not allowed to have it for dinner except as a guest. That is my friend Pierre. Pierre DePossum is a bit of a connoisseur. Iams High protein softened by rain water for a few hours is his favorite dish.
That menu sounds very similar to what Squatch has served before. If Squatch really wants to be a food trendsetter, he should serve that new cultured meat that is grown in a lab or go vegan. ~N~

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Well.... If someone begs and pleads for you to cook up some fried armadillo.Run don't walk to the nearest exit and keep going. I got suckered into that once. MY HOUSE SMELLED LIKE SKUNK FOR DAYS.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Sansai--I really hate to inform you and Pierre De Possum that Pierre is not invited to the table-
and "one is either at the table or on the menu".
Question?-- I often grow Penicillin in my fridge but how do you grow meat in a lab?

Cando--it was not cooked correctly!!!!--
Armadillo (O/W known as "Possum on the half shell") cooked by chef Squatch is fantastic--He marinates in first in old Dodge motor for 24 hrs. Some folks say it is an acquired taste.

Midland City, AL

And, after that you still hang out with Texans, Vickie? What a noble and forgiving woman you are! I don't think I've ever seen Armadillo anything-edible outside of Texas where I saw Armadillo Chili at chili cook-offs.
Don't think the NASA meat (cultured meat, in vitro meat) is going over very well with anyone. They say it has a texture much like Spam. I've been trying to imagine the Thanksgiving turkey of 2021.
Perhaps, as an act of philanthropy, you should offer the researchers some CB as seasoning, Vort. (Jim)
Cultured Meat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Squatch says (Philanthropy??????? Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha--bah humbug)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim, I have to hang out with them,They're in - laws.
Good Heavens! In-vitro meat. Think I'd just as soon have armadello. Is that why spam has gotten so popular lately? I thought it was because its cheap. It would be fun to make a dish of spam and dressing for thanksgiving and tell family It's the new traditional meat. LOL
We can have some fun with Scrouge McSquatch at Christmas!!!!! Miss Bear of course in the role of Tiny Tim.

Columbus, OH

My mother used to love spam. She would slice it and fry it and make sandwiches, or bake it like a ham. Appalling. Ditto for canned corned beef, she loved those disgusting sandwiches made from smooshed corned beef mixed with Ragu spaghetti sauce (no other brand will do) and served hot on a white hamburger roll, sloppy joe style. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

I like Spam, but I get the healthy version, Spam Lite. This one is LESS than half cholesterol. LOL
I know, eeeeeeew!

Midland City, AL

Whenever Mom was sick or away and my Dad cooked, we could count on having Spam. I think my Dad could write a Spam cookbook.

I had no idea, before moving south, that an opposum could get so big. They are supposed to be the size of a house cat according to what I've read. Yeah, right!!! The last one I saw must have weighed more than 20 lbs. Nadine has been collecting recipes from old Native Americans and one elderly man sent her an oppussum recipe. Next time I go out in the morning and find things dragged out of the compost bin, I'm tempted to try it. (Jim)

Thin slices of Fried Spam..served with Eggs. What Mom thought she could trick us with when she didn't have Scrapple....didn't work !
( I think some of us are reallllllllyyyyyyyy dating ourselves here LOL )

Columbus, OH

Yeahhhh...when my dog brought her friend the opossum into the kitchen, my husband thought it was a cat, till he saw the babies clinging to it, and that it wasn't a cat. He almost had a stroke. Honeeeeeeyyy! The dog brought in a dead cat OMGITISSOMEKINDOFANIMALGETITOUTNOW!!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

To properly prepare `possum, you have to keep it for a week or so ALIVE feeding it corn and chocolate basil, and lots of fresh water `cause you never know whose compost bin the possum has been eating out of.) I do hope Chef Squatch isn't going to try and pass off any road-kill `possum as the real deal to his unsuspecting guest.
Sh-h-h, Celene, I have my dearly beloved convinced that seeing to gruesomes is MAN's work. k*

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

kudzu--how dare you!

Squatch only uses opossum roadkill that was exiting a cornfield, with plenty of water available, that had been inter planted with chocolate basil when it met it's final fate.

A master chef knows how to carefully choose his ingredients.

He is totally offended by your innuendo. :)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This message was edited Nov 15, 2011 11:32 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.