White Mold

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a friend who shared tomatoes with me. They are cracked deeply about a third of the way from the top of the tomato. Within a few days, the tomatoes are getting white mold in the cracks. Can anyone explain this mold? The tomatoes are hybrids.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

birder17, my tomatoes tend to get cracks when they are overwatered by rainfall. The mold sets in quickly b/c of bacteria. I have had to work fast with processing all my tomatoes, which seemed to all mature within a 2 week period, by cutting them up and cooking or freezing them. I have found the tomatoes this year are especially vulnerable to the mold b/c of all the rain we had in July and they seem to be spoiling at a faster rate than usual.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have never seen this white mold on tomatoes before this year. Our ground is so dry. One would think water would not be an issue, but I know uneven watering can cause tomatoes to grow too fast and split.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/ripe/

Look at the middle picture b'c what you describe appears to me as what's called sour rot which is caused by a fungus called Geotricum, which ggets into the splits, horizontal splitting, on the sides of the fruits.

It's one of the more common fungi that causes rots and spots on tomatoes. None of them are parthogenic, just normal bacteria and fungi found in the air normally.

Carolyn

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, Carolyn, I think that's it. I was curious what caused it. It appears to be watering over the top of the plants. Thank you.

Thumbnail by birder17

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.