lemon tree

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I examined this lemon tree under a magnifying glass and did find a thrip and something very small which might have been a mite, Several months ago this looked green and thriving. Now, the branches are brown and the lemons shriveled. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

and one more view, not showing a lot!

Thumbnail by dun1kirk
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I would guess that's some kind of environmental damage. It would help to see the base of the trunk, and to know how long the tree has been there. It doesn't look like insect damage. Has anyone sprayed an herbacide near it? Has it become waterlogged? Has it been watered? Has the trunk been damaged by rodents or string trimmers? Is there mulch against the trunk?
Those are a few things that come to mind without seeing more detail.

Calistoga, CA

You should not be able to see through a lemon tree. This is supposed to be an evergreen tree. I also think it is not an insect damage, but a root problem. It looks like it is being watered by a drip system, but the soil showing does not look watered or fertilized. Citrus are heavy users of nitrogen, as well as selected minors. It looks like the tree could be pulled out ground with little effort. I would be tempted to give it a pull. Al

Vista, CA

Dun,

I am a raw beginner with citrus, but i see some black spots on the leaves, and i lost the leaves from a healthy Asian Persimmon tree this summer, from the blackspot disease, caused by a common fungus, so i have started spraying everything, and hope the tree comes back. I also know there are some virus type diseases that will cause trees to lose their leaves, so you should take the leaves to your extension agent or try to get an opinion from a professional to protect your other trees.

I use a long moisture meter to check the soil around my trees, so i can quickly rule out whether or not they are getting enough water. But without leaves the tree cannot take up the water, so the fruit will dry out.

Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.