Leaving the city lights behind (vol1)

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Margaret, I was outside. Never just got out though - checked around a bit. Many of the bird shot is also from inside the vehicle, so it explains some blurry shots, and many at the end of max focus.

Resin, yes they are not afraid, but usually roll or sit on a vehicle...I do not take any elephant for granted, nor do I shut off the engine - the one above with the flapping ears is a good example - if they charge is usually a warning and if you move they stop - I have seen this 2 or 3 times, but I have also seen some people get on top of vehicles (usually Europeans) to take pics - totally stupid - at least there is now hefty fines if you are caught doing this. We cam across lots of vacation groups, mostly from Europe (England, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium) and the kids where so excited about the elephants.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Little_things :
at least there is now hefty fines if you are caught doing this.

Get tough, throw them to the lions! ;-)

What does one do if there's elephants converging from each end of the stretch of road you're on?

Resin

Rarely happens, but you read the signs - for instance - we came up on this group. Now looking at them - lovely scene. I will post another pic..

Thumbnail by Little_things

Here is another pic taken in 5 seconds after the first - see anything different?

Ok - so, first thing to know is that mothers are fiercely protective of their babies, second thing to know is that the whole troop protect the young. Second pic mom has stopped eating and now she is looking at us, also the back elephant is starting to open the ears also letting us know that we need to be careful.

The one time I have really seen an elephant charge more than once is precisely the situation in front of us - I will not attempt to go closer or squeeze by - just asking for trouble. Just give them space and they move off and melt away into the bush...while we watched them they actually crossed the road, but the playful baby went across again to the others in the troop, which meant mom on one side - baby on the other - very dangerous to go through that. Once they all crossed and moved into the bush we went by the last ones being less than 3m from us without issue.

I think the issue with some visitors is that they think its tame animals like a zoo - not so, they are not hunted and they are more used to vehicles, but they are still wild and unpredictable. I have heard of some idiots even trying to feed them apples, ending with a flat car-- lol!

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 10:42 PM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Big old boss at the back is flapping his ears, and mum is turning to look your way?

Resin

Yep you have it - same as with the bull in one of the earlier pics - just a warning!

PERTH, Australia

Fascinating, Rian.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

It's good, to know all those warning signs. Glad the Elephant didn't charge you.

Its really a non-issue as long as you respect their space, they are not scared of us, so they will not do anything really, unless you provoke a response.

Sandusky, OH

Enjoyed your wildlife thread Rian! Yes the bones and sign are enough for me to stay inside the vehicle..lol.

In the final stretch - Buffalo bull

On of the best finds of the trip - a glimps at a caracal - rare, very rare to see

Some young warthog testing each other

Zebra

fowl - their hairdooo's are always so cute

And then these 3 young bulls

Who did some strength and ear flapping tests

side view

Final shot of them and their kingdom

So having my last "true South African braai" (barbecue), and looking over the land of the "ellies" I was planning my next trip back...but for now, sadly,

"I have to go back to the city lights, like a moth to a flame"

Hope you enjoyed it...LT

PERTH, Australia

Loved it, Rian. Thanks for sharing your wonderful animals and experience with us.

Only my pleasure.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Fascinating! Thanks!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very much enjoyed it, Rian.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

What a fantastic thread Rian! I love reading and seeing the wildlife from other areas... and Africa is definitely on my bucket list! Wonderful photos!

Pittsburgh, PA

I only just found this thread, but boy was it fun!
Thanks for posting!

glad you liked it

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.