Is it ok to plant raspberries in the fall?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I found a website that is still offering raspberry plants this fall; most companies are out of stock. Are there any problems with planting raspberry plants in the fall? The company's ship date for my area is Sept. 12.

Thanks for your help!
Glenda

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

If you plant red raspberries in the fall you shouldn't have much trouble. They are the most winter hardy raspberries. I recommend amending the soil and mulching your plants . Make sure you water the raspberies throughout the season. They appreciate a good watering program. Good Luck!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks frankford! I got lucky and found the variety that I wanted at a local nursery. I'm in the process of creating the beds now and will plant them in the next day or two! I can't wait till next year when I get to have a bowl of raspberries with milk and sugar!! Yum!!

Sure appreciate your help! :) I will remember to water and mulch!
Glenda

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

I had a wonderful year with my previously planted a year ago berries. This year I've eaten strawberries blueberries, black and red raspberries, blackberries and concord grapes right in the garden. I haven't bothered saving any in the freezer. The blueberies and red raspberries were the most productive of all berries this year . I just love the fresh fully ripened fruit my garden has to offer!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Update.... I planted 18 Caroline raspberry bushes back in September. We're really looking forward to seeing how they do next year! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.