Tomatoes all summer long

Tonto Basin, AZ

We're still getting a few fresh tomatoes, enough for salads and sandwiches, and we still have new ones forming. It's a very pleasant surprise - in the years we've been growing here, this is the first time to have fresh ones all through August. I have no idea why, summer has had typical 100+ days and 80+ nights.

Not complaining, but if I could figure out why, maybe I could make it happen again next year.

Frank

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

What varieties are you growing? I usually have at least some tomatoes all summer long, even though the heat definitely slows them down. This is the first year that they have stopped setting. But with our excessive heat and drought Im not surprised. Congratulations!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Ours quit around the end of July! Thankfully, I had over-planted and we had enough to freeze and share with neighbors.

Tonto Basin, AZ

1lisac, I'm kinda embarrassed to say, but I don't know the varieties, except for one which is a 4th of July. Another is an heirloom (maybe Mortgage Lifter), and I know the third is a hybrid, but don't remember the variety

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, whatever they are I'd grow them again. I love ML this is the first year that I haven't gotten any fruit, but I'm still hopeful. There is a chance the temps will start to drop by the end of next week. I've got the plants they've judt never had a chance to produce.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

tarheel, what gardening zone are you in in AZ? I ask b/c the zones there vary widely and thus some can grow tomatoes all summer long and some can't.

Carolyn

Tonto Basin, AZ

Carolyn, it's hard to tell from the hardiness maps, we're in a narrow valley 3000 feet below the surrounding hills, and the zone maps don't show enough detail to be sure.

Winter minimum will range from 15 to 25, so I guess that makes us 8b or 9a. Last frost typically mid-March. In June, summers days are close to 100 with nights in the 70s. July and August days are well over 100 with nights low to mid 80s. Other summers, pollination pretty much ended in June. The last ripening of the small fruited varieties would be in July, and the large fruited varieties would be done in August. Then a gap until October when the fist fall crop of small fruited varieties ripened. In the fall, we've gotten very few large fruits to ripen before first frost, usually about Dec 1st.

This year, a smattering of fruit has set right through the summer. There are fruits in all stages out there now, not many, but enough to keep the salads tasty. Maybe we had some relatively cooler nights in July (that seems to be the determining factor more than daytime temps).

Hope you're doing well.

Frank

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.