Finally, a few blooms !!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dan - mixed seed here at Swan Island but a bit expensive.
http://www.dahlias.com/mixeddahliaseed.aspx

This morning I heard of a product on a radio gardening show that's available in the west right now. I think the guy (Mark Viette) said it contains lava stone. I'll try and find out more about it but it's supposed to work wonders.

Mentor, OH

Thanks again, pirl. You can bet I'll be growing some of these next year. Oberon, the guy's name is John Evans. He has one rating on the DG Watchdog. Check out his video when you get a chance. He shows a 35 lb. zucchini and a 23 lb. beet. You can find it by googling "Organic Bountea". I think he still has videos on "You Tube". Very interesting but I think all the sunlight has something to do with it.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I wonder if the volcano stuff might be a similar mixture to the azomite minerals I use on my peonies. It is a bit spendy, although a DG'r down south eastern found a supply that was wayyy cheap. She was going to buy like 40# for $1 something a pound or some such.. I pay $8.99 for a 2-3 pound box.

I'll look up John Evans. I bet he lives out in the Matanuska Valley. That is where the really big growers live, big size wise and big land wise.

Lindenhurst, NY

What lovely Dahlia pics.
Arlene -- your dahlias from seed are beauties . Did you find the seed pack so you can tell us what the name of dahlia seeds were?

tks.

Sorry. Jack said he must have thrown out the package. Often he keeps them but not the one time I wish he had.

Lindenhurst, NY

No problem Arlene. Your dahlias were just go pretty, i thought i want to get the same seeds. I saw someone on ebay has 50 varied seeds for about 5.00,not bad. She grows them from her home and has a bunch of pics of actual blooms she has gotten from the same seeds.

How I wish I knew where I bought them so I could buy them again and be able to tell you the name or the store. If I spot them in winter I will post it on the Dahlia Forum.

Lindenhurst, NY

Thanks Pirl. I actually just bid on the seeds, 50 seeds for 2.99 plus 2.99 postage. There are a few different auctions for same seeds. If it goes about 3.99 i won't bid.

Thanks for your help Pirl:-)
Hope you are doing good.

Mentor, OH

Blackberry Blossom. After a couple light frosts, I think our growing seasons is officially over. The last few blooms have been much smaller. This BB didn't open until mid-Oct. and is the only bloom on the plant.

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

"My name is Earl". This Earl dahlia was a freebie I received from a vendor this Spring. The tuber was the size of a baking potato. It was suggested that I throw it away because it was probably a mother tuber and had spent it's energy. I didn't have the heart to toss it and gave it a good spot in the garden. It"s growth was incredibly slow. It finally budded in late Sept. and opened in mid-October. This photo was made this morning (Nov. 5) and it is over 10", my biggest bloom of the year. Sort of an "ugly duckling" story. LOL This one is complete with it's own cucumber beetle in the center. Never saw these bugs until last month.

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

Korb's Summer Gala. This is another mid-October bloom. Why are they so slow?

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

Coral Frills. This raggedy bloom is the only one on the plant. Another October bloom.

Thumbnail by psudan

Great dahlias, Dan. Even on Swan Island's site they mentioned a lot of the blooms were late so it must be the cool spring.

Mentor, OH

Dana. This bloom is a much different form than the one I posted a while back. I can't believe it's from the same plant.

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

My "attempt" at flower arrangements for Mom's birthday.

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

I never claimed to be a flower arranger. LOL

Thumbnail by psudan
Athens, PA

Dan

Great pictures. I especially love your 'ugly duckling' story. I would have had to plant it to see if I had gotten anything from it.

My dahlias were particularly late to flower this season as well. I am hoping next season is a bit more dahlia friendly....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.