How far have you traveled to meet another DG member?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 161 votes:

Less than 50 miles
(19 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Around 100 miles
(17 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Over 100 miles, but less than 500.
(32 votes, 19%)
Red dot

I've taken multiple trips to meet DG members
(16 votes, 9%)
Red dot

I've traveled thousands of miles over the years to meet many DG members.
(9 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I've never met another DG member.
(68 votes, 42%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Woohoo, I'm first! I voted that I've never met another DG member, because sadly it's true =( I had planned to attend the Michigan spring swap in June but had scheduled allergy testing and couldn't make it. But I will probably meet someone here in town in the next couple of weeks, as she is downsizing a garden and making some plants available to others. Next year, I hope to be able to answer this poll differently!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

So far I've attended Iowa RU 6 years & KY RU 3 years. You meet many people as there are new people every year.
On the way to KY in 2008, we stopped at a member in Chicago area.
This year we are going to make an extended trip after KY RU. Going to NC, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio & Indiana on way home. If your in our path, we will stop!
Bernie

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I enjoyed meeting many DG members at a couple of Iowa Round-ups. I also drove a couple of hours out of the way to meet Sharon Brown (Sharran) when I was in Kentucky. I was also the recipient of a visit, from Desert Pirate, who made a side trip through Illinois on his way from Arizona to visit his mother, way down south. Sure enjoy putting face-to-face personalities with all the on-line characters I've "met" on DG!

Bernie (Country Gardens, above) is one of the good folks I met at the Iowa RU!

Angie

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Hay Bernie, come see me, I have a GH and it is said I grow the best organic Weeds on the south side of Frankfort, KY. I'm canning tomato juice today. Love those toms.

I have only met one other DG member , VGMKY , aka 'The Tomato Man' , aka Gary Millwood, great gardener, he lives in Louisville, 50 miles to the west, met him a couple of times at seed exchanges.

Everyone have a Wonderful week....Dwight

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

On my trip to Calif, I sidetracked to meet up with 2 DG's. In Clarksville, TN, I met up with Cville_Gardener aks Carole, to deliver some plants to her and have breakfast. Than I headed for Jonesboro, ARK and spent the rest of the day and night with ButterflyChaser, aka Nancy, I had a good time with both girls and would like to meet other DG's.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Rentman, it looks like your close to my planned route.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So happy to have met many members from MidAtlantic and Northeast forums, farthest I've been.... over 280 miles to NH for an RU.

Crossville, TN

WOOHOO....guess who? I think I should be named Daves Garden Ambassador -at-large!! And have a little badge on my name...yeah....Maybe a sunflower!!

I don't know how many miles I have traveled, but if there is a DG'er living in my path they are at risk of me stopping by for a cup of tea and a chat.

I haven't added the last list of names that I have met this year and last, but my list shows that I have met over 260 members of DG....and still working on more at the KY RU this year.

I have never met a DG'er that I didn't like....You may be next!! Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Great way to meet like-minded people from all walks of life. Highly recommended.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I've driven from Tennessee to Maine to meet members and just drove from the southern tip of Texas to meet Bernie and his wife from Country Gardens in Minnesota. (and lots more trips in between) Every trip was well worth it! Roadrunner traveled with me on the Maine trip.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I almost got to meet some fellow DG'rs in Oregon at the annual Peony meeting there but other things interfered. I am determined that next year I will at least attend the PNW meeting, and visit a few more gardens. Did manage to meet Mr. Adelman at his garden (Carole was busy setting up in Wilsonville I think.)

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

We took a trip to the Southwest this spring and I looked up DesertPirate in AZ while we were there.

Marti, that lives in CA again lived in KY last year and came to the local garden tour since our gardens were on the tour.

Jo, you've met some "precious" people in your jaunts I know!!

Doug

Crossville, TN

Dougie....and you are one of the MOST precious!! See you again in Sept??

Susie...I saw where you had been to Bernies....when you coming out here?? For the folks that didn't know bout our trip to Maine....we were gone 10 days and stayed in motels 3 nights...the other nights we were hosted by other DG members in their homes. What fun we had. Jo

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I have never met another DGer. I guess I'm not terribly social.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Several of us from Mid-South from Mississippi, Alabama and Tenessee (maybe from elsewhere so I hope I didn't leave someone out!) have met at the Nashville Lawn and Garden show over the years. It was the beginning of more than just a DG friendship for many of us. The group is well-expanded into Arkansas, Louisiana and Kentucky and there are multiple get-togethers and plant swaps among the members now.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We went to Fredericton, New Brunswick, 564 miles, to meet Joy (agedgardener), her son and his family. It was great.

We've been to Maine a few times to meet Celeste (Pixie62560), Ramona (Mainiac), and Sharon Whitney of Eartheart Gardens (Siberian and Japanese irises).

Our shortest trip was to meet Lillyo in Manchester, CT.

They are all terrific people.

Here's Joy:

Thumbnail by pirl
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

How come DG members all have cool antique furniture in their houses ? Must be gardening & love of fine things go hand in hand!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

And I loved the garden tour in Bardstown, KY. I got many new ideas that I tried in my KY garden and will try out here also.

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

i almost met someone in orlando in mid july, but he didn't get my D mail in time, so we couldn't met. I was up there on vacation.

I'm open to a central/south florida round up sometime...

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

We winter in Florida and my gardening and quilting hobbies overlap so this has been a wonderful forum for meeting new friends in both categories. We have a son, with grandchildren, in KY so I have been able to form a bond with the WKBG (Western Kentucky Botanical Garden), and many DG members in KY. Been to the tent sale at Keepsake quilting and got to meet fellow quilters in NH. It's lovely meeting face to face.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I've met some awesome DG people in NJ and PA. This summer we took a trip to our son's place in OR. Since the PNW forum knew I was coming out, a Get together was planned at PNWMountaingirl's place in WA where we met some very nice folks, then we overnighted at Lynnphillips house. My DH was amazed at the camaraderie, but I knew that we were all family before we even met face to face. There's just something about DGers isn't there?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

There really is something special about DG people, Jan. Gentle hearts and generous spirits just begins to define it.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I am so looking forward to being able to come to more RUs in the NE or mid- At.

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

I've never traveled to meet another DG member but when talking to an acquaintance, I found out she was a member here too.

~Sharon

Smithville, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm hoping to meet some other members one of these days. I love the fact that there are others who also share the same passion for gardening and plants as I. I wish there were plant swaps closer to us...lol If there was something closer, I could probably go to a swap.... I've never been to one, but it does sound like so much fun!! Have a great day!!

MGB,

binky

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Binky, be careful who you say that to, or you may find yourself being "volunteered" to organize one. That is the response I usually got whenever I suggested an Illinois Round-up or Plant Swap. There was a pair of really good articles on how to plan one, though, that made it sound almost easy.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1478/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1479/

This message was edited Aug 12, 2011 11:17 AM

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

I met a few fellow gardeners in my area through the forums and marketplace--we've since met F2F several times, and I consider them friends. We enjoy the opportunity to share our gardening experiences, but we also enjoy just having lunch and chatting.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Just about 30 minutes. Have meet up with DGers (thankyou again) who shared empty nursery pots with me and made a wonderful friend here in my own town, thank goodness for friendships planted in my DG garden :)

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 11:52 AM

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I wasn't sure which one to pick as I've traveled thousands of miles but many were in the truck and I managed to sneak in visits on the way. Always think it's a special stop when I get to hook up with a DGer. I've been to RUs since 2004 and only missed 2 IA RUs. Now that I'm in WI, I've made it to 3 RUs here.

Bernie - high time I stopped by! Are you home Labor Day wknd? I am privileged to go meet a new granddaughter so may sneak in a visit if you and Bertha are home.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 7:47 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We will be home. Market is Saturday.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

K thanks! I'll let you know when we get closer to Sept.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I've been to about 25 DG folks gardens over the years.
I will see another on the 27th in Oklahoma.
Sidney

Crossville, TN

PPSSSSTTT Happy Birthday, Sugarweed!! Jo

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Living as I do in Japan makes it kinda tricky but there are many I would like to meet, were it possible.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I co-host the RUs in Arlington twice a year with Frostweed. They are a lot of work but a lot of people are willing to help if you ask them. Our group has been as many as 60 in the spring, of course that is spouses and kids too. If you haven't attended a round up in your area....well it's time~ !!

I met Roadrunner (Jo) at the first College Station TX one that Dave himself attended (pic). We had a great group there also. I count some of my DG friends among my BFFs!!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Crossville, TN

That was a fun time...there is Dave and Trish sitting in front on the right. Jo

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am shocked at the numbers who haven’t meet anyone!!! I encourage anyone who hasn't met other DG folks to look up those in your area. It has enhanced my online experience so much by meeting in person those I correspond with here. If you don't know how to find out who they are, let me tell you....!!
* Click Home
* On the second row of tabs click EXTRAS
* Look for “Find other DG subscribers in your area” Click on the link
* Put in your zip code and see all the fellow gardeners in your area.

Also keep an eye on the round up thread Roadrunner keeps and attend one of those. Make friends you will have for a lifetime!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I hosted a Round UP one fall. I did like you said about finding members. I took Minnesota instead of zip code & invited all from So. MN. You can put them in a blast D-mail list & D-mail everyone with one post. A couple people came to the RU, but many answered the D-mail.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It takes a while to get people together. Make sure whoever you invite brings a guest with them, maybe they will join DG. There is way more members in TX I imagine because of Dave being in Texas, so we don't have to travel far to meet others. We have gotten together to help someone clean up their yard, dig and move their plants, and even help install irrigation! Friends helping friends. Good luck with future swaps!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.