Dwarf pittosporum tenuifolium?

El Segundo, CA

I love the look of p. tenuifolium silver sheen, but the ones I've seen grow too tall. I'd like something delicate and rangy for a screen that doesn't block all the light from my window, but between 8-12 feet. Is there a dwarf or shorter variety?

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes there is, Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Oliver Twist". I needed a plant for the same type of location, something to soften the hot summer sun coming in through the window but not a solid hedge. It also had it to be attractive as they are in a bed by themselves immediately when you come out a sliding glass door onto the patio. My landscaper suggested 'Oliver Twist' and I absolutely love their lacy look. Their leaves are a bit smaller than the silver sheen, but otherwise two years after being planted their growth habit seems to be the same, just shorter and not as wide. They are also adaptable; getting almost no sun in the winter and lots in the summer. If you'd like I can take a picture and post it.

Here's a link I found that describes them: http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/461/oliver-twist-kohuhu.php

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.