Giant catmint

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm reading great reviews of a new catmint - Nepeta grandiflora 'Wild Cat' - has anyone tried this? I have a row of roses that border a pasture fence, with the ensuing field grass always trying to creep into the roses. I thought I'd dig out a border on the field side of the fence and plant something that can mingle with the grasses OK and also provide a nice backdrop for the roses. This catmint apparently gets from 3-4' tall (depending on who is reporting it) and as wide, has darker blooms, doesn't need staking or pruning or deadheading. Sounds like the ticket to me. I'm looking for pretty easy-care. No animals anymore so it's now kind of fun to expand my beds into the fields a bit and use the fences as a feature rather than a boundary.

Here are the roses in early spring before the field grass took off. I also lost a couple roses this winter, which I haven't replaced yet - any suggestions on easy care floribundas? I don't like the upkeep of the tea roses (all hand-me-downs and disease/fungus/bug prone) and prefer a looser form. Knockout?

This message was edited Aug 3, 2011 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by bonehead
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

bone, I think that's a nice idea. Catmint is so durable & probably would compete well with the grass.

As for floribundas, I'm partial to "Gruss an Achen" for pink and "Playboy" for salmon

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Cats in the Mint! (first they stood there and ate it, like cows.)

Thumbnail by Pistil
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That's a cute picture of the cats. I love the way they act around the catmint.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Makes me wish there was a 'people-mint' I could just belly up to, roll around in, and be perfectly content.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I think there is. The kids go through a lot of it out here at the coast.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

But I am sure it is only for "medicinal purposes". The purpose being to cure them of any need to feel they should do anything useful, like work in the garden.
Heehee.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.