Border help! Sea thrift and autumn charm sedum

Accokeek, MD

Hi! I have a 18" border that runs along my drive for 50'. Our soil is mostly clay with some sand. The area gets morning shade but afternoon sun from 1pm on. I was thinking of combining sea thrift and autumn charm sedum in alteration, both for more full season bloom and for better winter soil coverage when the sedum dies back. The other side of the area is lined with a raised bed with creeping mahonia and turks cap mallow. I'll keep the turks cap about 2' so it shouldn't interfere much with the sun on the other plants. Do these seem compatible to our Mid-atlantic gardeners?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gardenglories, I don't grow sea thrift, so I'm not sure about the growth habit of it. I love the Autumn charm sedum.
I have a Mahonia but I haven't seen the creeping variety, what a nice plant. Good luck with your border.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sorry I'm late. The sedum will do great but i don't know about sea thrift. Its cute but i haven't had good luck with it. Someone near me has a border of pink dianthus that would be kind of similar to the thrift look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.