rock wall

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I hope this will fall into this category. We built a rock wall from granite (hey, it was free). Well, of course you can imagine how it looks, not what I really want, but it's a retaining wall, so it works. There is nothing holding it together, so I have lots of space between the shapes of the rocks. Please tell me what would be good to grow in some of those spaces, I don't have room for something to grow and hang over the top. And would this pose a problem with the roots eventually moving the rocks or making them loose. I will fill in spaces with something if I have to, to hold them.

Sure tiG,fill the area to plant with wet spaghum moss and also some sand and soil and fill' Like make into a compact ball and then push into the cracks,then plant'If it's in full sun,grow some herbs,succulents,whatever you like' You might check further on the soils/amendments for a mix you like' My example was just a common growing medium'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

what are some nice evergreen plants that I could use? suggestions more than welcome:) dont' grow many herbs.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

if you want your granite to look older and more weathered, try smearing it with yoghurt. this will attract moss and lichen to grow on it. houseleeks (sempervivums) will grow in about an inch of soil, so cram them in the nooks and crannies.

i'm looking at some notes from one of my classes on alpines, these are notes from a section on dry stone walls.

'all cracks and crevices should be filled with fertile soil. dry stone walls should be constructed of a rock of a single kind, as it looks better. The selection of plants suitable for planting in a dry-stone wall will be determined by its aspect and the pH of the soil it retains. Planting in the interstices of a wall is difficult, and only small plants, seedlings or rooted cuttings are suitable. Dry-stone walls are frequently planted with trailing plants at their tops.'

'plants suitable would be mossy saxifrages, silver saxifrages and 'Kabschia' saxifrages.'

hope this lot helps!

lil

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Sweet Alyssum, Basket of Gold works well in this type of garden.

"eyes"

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh, the hens and chicks together with either of eyes suggestions would look good.

Mason, MI

Wow, you folks are full of great ideas!
I don't have any rock walls (yet), but I'm inspired already!
Melissa/Oscarsdotter :-)

Another challenge for many of us too,lol'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

or you could come help me with mine. It's about 50 ft long. :(

Hey tiG,now let's look at your wall in perhaps something of a "keepsake",lol' Like what am I trying to say? Ah ha''Ok,whenever someone trades with you or sends a goodie to plant,put it into "Your Memory Wall".(appropriate plants of course) and put a marker for each friend for others to read and enjoy' When you have friends over,and walk the gardens,like a "conversation piece", wouldn't that be beautiful memories to share,lol' Just a thought' Sis'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

that would be gorgeous, but a lot of what I trade for wouldn't go on a vertical wall. But perhaps in the spring, I will do a set of trades specifically for that, I love the idea!! And so far, I can tell you just who I got what from, but that is fast changing, I've done so many trades:) so markers are a great idea too!!

I know you're into those beautiful exotics and read all the Id's and love the pics everyone posts,even though,they're out of the question for me to grow,no greenhouse'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh, hon!! I don't have one either!! LOL!!! We are blessed with a huge living room, and we divided it last year. This year the front side is all plants. DD said we lit up the street with the grow lights, and we should expect a visit from the police soon:) just to check, you know!!! ;)

ROFLOL,same here with mine on timers,but know the officers and don't worry,lol' They'd be checking to see if I was ok,if it was dark here,lol' Another good thing living in a 1 horse town,lol' No,think we have now more than one'

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Your town has a horse??????????

Uh,huh'''

Guess today I'll get started on my alpines for my deck' The weather is still pretty warm but won't last much longer' How is the wall project tiG,working on it yet? Sis'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.