(Zone 7a)

Rose 'Westerland.'

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

And the corn, just for fun.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Quote from OutlawHeart81 :
I swear i just snapped this, no photoshop, just spellbindingly magical weeds looking otherworldly. (not THAT kind of "magical" weeds...;))

I go away for vacation and look what happens? All kinds of pretty pictures! Outlaw, I think you magical weeds might be Spotted Knapweed http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31857/
We were hiking on a couple trails in Sleeping Bear Dunes and saw the plants everywhere. I bought a little common wildflower handout that says it's common, while here on DG it's labeled as invasive to the western states. I wonder if it's a true native here in Michigan or just loves the dunes. Anyway, here's one pic of them:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome back from vacation Eleven. Here is what blooming in the garden today:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Lily! Your pic reminds me of this one I took Saturday when we stopped for dinner on our way home from the dunes. Some kind of Monarda and maybe Coreopsis?

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

The Hofbrau restaurant garden was full of blooms:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hofbrau .... that sounds germany'ish. Was the food good? I bet it was. Those daylilies and the crocosmias along with the oxeye daisy and Hollihocks! Wow!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

The food wasn't outstanding (not saying that to be mean, but we ate our second most wonderful meal at Trattoria Stella just a couple nights before) but was a nice end to our vacation. Their perch tasted fresh and nutty. My husband enjoyed a local brew, while I enjoyed the view =) Alas, my home garden is much less colorful. Here's my Hosta 'Guacamole' I caught blooming:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pretty 'Guacamole' ! Please keep those blooms coming everyone. I shall return tomorrow.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Well unless you want to see more knapweed and about a hundred crookneck squash flowers i have no pics to add, didn't take any today.
But thanks for the pf on my "magical weed" lol everything in my yard seems to be invasive.

Athens, PA

I did take pictures today. I just haven't loaded them into my computer yet.

I'll do that.

Athens, PA

Clematis Roguuchi is still going strong. This clem seems to cover most of the season with blooms...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

I could never tell Starfighter from Stargazer. I have both, but no clue which is which, but love the color.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

These are supposed to be Casablanca Lilies, but are not tall enough..... These lilies are about 2 1/2ft tall.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Black Beauty is still going strong...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Geum Mrs. Bradshaw is flowering again....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Phlox David is looking good...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

A blurry anemone. Maybe I'll get a better photo of Japanese Anemone tomorrow...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is Orange Mamalade Crossandra, very few flowers that comes this color. It is very happy in the hot wether, but I will have to bring it in the Winter.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Got a lot of self-seeded sunflowers (though not perennial, at least yearly...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Blackberry lilies

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloriosa greenii

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Perennial Rudbeckia

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great pics. everyone. Thanks J. for sharing those wonderful flowers right out of your garden. OH81, weeds? They are 'wild flowers'. It takes time to cultivate one's garden. Hang in there and take it one step at a time. You can do it.

If one has a semi-shade garden. If you can only have one perennial; this will be it! Presenting 'Limelight hydrangea'. After the colorful summer hybrids broadleaf hydrangeas blooms are long gone. This hydrangea will accompanying you well into autumn with its subtle beauty for a long, long while.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carolyn, I love those garden phlox and all the lilies, thank you for sharing those flowers. :))

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

These look same thing, or are they the Snowball bush?? This was taken at Dillard house, in Dillard Ga, very nice place to take a weekend.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

Etelka

I would think the flowers on a snowball bush would be smaller than the flowers on a hydrangea. I could very well be wrong too. Isn't a snowball bush viburnum? I love viburnum.

J - are your gloriosas in pots? I ask because I know if I put my callas into the ground, I don't get the flowers that I get when they are in pots. I think it has something to do with the soil in the pots warming before the temperature in the ground warming up.

Kim - Thank you. Do waterlilies count? They are blooming in my garden. This one is a NOID - there are only a couple that I know the names.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Carolyn,
Yes, nearly all of my couple hundred Gloriosas are in 15 large and very large pots...most are rothschildianas as illustrated here -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Love that limelight!!!! I've been wanting one so badly. Love that and the 'little lime' supposed to be more compact and shrub like

Athens, PA

J - they are glorious. Mine flowered earlier this year.

Outlaw - I love the hydrangeas too

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Etelka, Carolyn made a very good point. What's common known as "snow ball bush" are viburnums, one type of viburnums. I've one too, they bloom in the spring, the growing condition in the garden has changed with age. For some reasons the shrub didn't yield any bloom for me this year. Baaaaaaa!!!

OH81, if you find 'Little Lime' please give it a try and keep the rest of us posted as how it turns out in the garden.

J. I'd elect you the award winner of the year on growing Gloriosa lilies!!!! I've never dreamed they could be that robust!!!! Not that anything else in your garden looks anything shy of award winning. But, to nurture something that accustomed to an entire different culture, and bring them to their best. That's OUTA 'Tis WORLD. (I'm just trying to emphasize my thought, and not yelling--please pardon me on this one).

Blue flowers anyone? I once met a lady with whom I asked what was her favorite flower? She simply said "anything blue". And boys, didn't that raised my curriosity about blue flowers, for I thought there were very few commonly known ones. Today, when I look at any beautiful flowers that are blue. I remember my friend.

This is Thunbergia grandiflora; it's marginally hardy here. I once afforded the vines in the garden for a duration of 3 years. Then a real tough winter, it went bye bye. But this spring I replanted several. By the look of it, it's going to reward me with lots, and lots of blooms this Fall.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have ordered some Black and Blue Salvia, but it came kind of late and they are still small plants some has cobalt blue flowers but only 10" tall. I have about 6 of them and hopefully next year it will grow as it should , 4 feet tall.

Athens, PA

Hydrangea Endless Summer

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Clematis Dutchess of Albany

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

The last of Clematis Betty Corning.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Thalictrum Black Stocking is starting...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Carolyn how do you like endless summer? I'm having a lot of trouble with wilting on the one that gets sun from morning to just before noon, mildew on the one that doesn't get as much (really; they are feet apart! Grrr) i really feel like they put out a great first bloom, but now the late flowers are tiny and kinda weak. Sorry I've gone way off topic here. Lol but I'll post a pic of the little bloom tomorrow.
Maybe i just need to give it another year. It's the first year so far.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 9:08 PM

Athens, PA

Daylily Beyond Thunderdome

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Outlaw - My ES is about 5 -6 years old. The first two years, I wanted to pull it out and even went so far as to threaten ES. I told ES if it did not do better the following year, it was going to be yanked out. Ever since then, I have just loved it. I still have problems from time to time with it wanting to wilt, but we have been so very dry the last 2 years - bordering on drought conditions. I did mulch my ES and my other hydrangeas as well and don't have as much of a problem with wilt, however, I still have the problem. I would give it a couple of years - the flowers are the biggest I have seen on a hydrangea in quite some time.

Take a look at my Hydrangea Pee Gee - it's wilty as well. They are saying it is supposed to rain tomorrow - I can only hope.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.