Apropos of Nothing v.22

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

As Pony is currently absent from DG, I will start her new thread as the last one is getting too long.....

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

WARNING- there may be discussion of guns, tattoos, pest removal or other potentially 'horrifying' subjects. If you can't handle that, this is not the thread for you. Disagreeing about a subject is okay, flaming people is not.

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1158468/

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sharon, I thought about this a couple times but don't have a clue how to make the link between threads. Perhaps we can ditch the warning? I realize it is a bit tongue in cheek but for some of the new folks it might be a bit off-setting. Just a thought.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Bonehead, are you still planning to come to Roundup? Springcolor? Pixydish? Anyone?

Lake Stevens, WA

Lynn,
Not sure. Son is comng home from WSU. He will only be home for a few weeks. I will be a last min. if I go.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Oh, I sure hope you can make it. You have to see all of the planters with your begonias. They are really filling out nicely. Also, new lilies pop open every day. They are so beautiful. I thank you every day for planting them.

Lake Stevens, WA

Lynn,
I'm going to try. Lilies are the best, glad you get to enjoy!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Lynn, it's on my calendar and I remain hopeful. Neither Gary nor I are very good at advance planning, although I am trying to get getter. Finding out that one needs to do so in the camping world anymore... we just went to Deception Pass and got the absolute last campsite available for one night only. Last for a good reason. But still a lovely time, we just spent almost all of it down at the beach.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This looked so pretty yesterday. Wish the blooms would last more than a day!!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I am hopeful that you will be able to come to the get together. It will be fun.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

And camping here will be rather nice, also. And you don't need a reservation and it is FREE!! I am hoping we will have a big fire pit built by then, but if not, we will just make do.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Apropos of nothing... with a bumper crop of raspberries this year I searched online for different ways to use them. Found and tried a chocolate raspberry jam recipe - yum yum. All you do is add a bar of dark chocolate to the berrries while cooking them. It gives a very sublte flavor and just a bit of a darkish color to the jam. I used Ghirdelli 86% cocoa, low-sugar pectin, and 6:5 berry:sugar. I also added a splash of vanilla. White chocolate would likely not affect the color as much although I'm not as fond of it over brown. May tryi it though in some more jam - this batch went lickety split.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes lots of raspberries this year here too. Got to get out there and beat the wasps to eating them. Keeps them on the sweet aphids. LOL
Though I did like the warning due to the interruption of one who doesn't like certain things.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We had a lot of raspberries and I wanted to make pie, but had only one frozen crust (I don't "do" piecrusts...) So I made my usual recipe for the filling, baked and cooled it, and then blended some crème fraîche with a quarter cup of sugar and a little milk to smooth it out, and spread it over the pie. The creamy topping went beautifully with the berries and we decided we prefer that to a second crust!

Lake Stevens, WA

PNWMGal,
What daylily is that Wow very beautiful!

Lake Stevens, WA

Hymenocallis 'Zwanenburg' These have been wonderful!

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

A new pot. Found a Kangaro Paw plant. Said it would be hardy to 20. Have any of you grown this? a few heuchera in there as well and a coleus

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Choc. cosmos and salvia. 1st bloom on the cosmos. This guy has over wintered for me for three years.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Some calla lilies. Lost all of mine last winter. Guess you need to dig. These came from a Costco bag.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Another

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

This turned out good. Lilies and Phlox. Hope that Phlox blooms before the lilies die.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Steve, trust me. If I am the member of Dave's Garden whom you are clunkily referring to as "the one who doesn't like certain things," then warning or not, you can continue to post photos of sequined handguns & boast about drowning raccoons without fearing my participation.

Is that what this thread purports to be about? The couple of topics referred to in the "warning"?

If discussions in the PNW forum must come with warnings that divide us, then so be it.

But I think that's wrong. And it has nothing to do with gardening.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Summer I felt it was fair not to mention your name and the anonymous was not a "clunkily" decision. I believe you are sensitive to things that I am not and with your ability to confront causes conflict sometimes here on the site. I wrote this here so you know it was me, and I take responsibility. Summer we are different people and that is OK with me. But to bring conflict on someone 's ideas that differ from ours is not the spirit of DG that was the purpose of the warning above.

Julia, that daylily is one of Julie's unnamed babies. I am nurturing several of those types in my front flower bed. It is really fun to see what comes out of her hybridizing attempts.

So.....I left the introduction to this thread just the way Pony had it for the last several editions. I was simply trying to be helpful in keeping the length of the previous one limited. Sorry to bring up old thoughts, but the message to "accept and not judge" is one I believe in too.

Deb, I have a great recipe for a raspberry liqueur made with sugar and vodka. If you have an interest, I will look it up and post it.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Sharon, yes please on the raspberry recipe. I currently have a gallon of raspberry/vodka stewing and have intentions of turning it into a liquer. So far I've just filled a jar up with berries and covered it with 100 proof. I may have put a bit of sugar in to get the berries to give up their juice, can't quite recall. I plan to let it sit until the berries look like ghosts then figure out the rest, so any suggestions/recipes would be appreciated.

Beautiful daylily - it must be fun to wait for them to open to see what you get.

Warning: my apologies for stirring up old angst, I didn't mean to.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Just got stung by a wasp. Dam! Hurt like heck and it is sweilling up very nicely! Love bee's hate wasp!!! That's what I get for trying to re-purpose old bricks on he property. Guess they had a nest in it. Wasp spray has been sprayed and I will start looking for my traps soon!
Still have many boes to unpack!

I could use a shot of that raspberry liqueur about now..

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Julia, lovely pics. I especially like the hymenocallis - new to me, very cool looking. What does it need in the way of care?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You need to relate to the wasps feelings. You probably crossed near its home and all warriors protect the home. Deep in the heart of a wasp is an accepting and loving garden partner. LOL I need to protect the image of the wasp. Just think you love bees but not wasps. Hmm. Though I love rats too. I take on the unwanted and build their acceptance in garden societies. Again LOL

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I try to get along with all creatures in nature. Sorry but this wasp just pissed me off. I was minding my own business,moving bricks and he got in my face so to speak and dive bombed right into my forearm. Was a struggle too to get him out of my arm. I actually screamed (quiet person normally). My daughter came rushing out to see what was wrong. The wasp was still in my arm. Finally he was done stinging me and got off of me. Sorry but the wasp traps are up. The dogs had to use puppy pads this afternoon as the swarm is right at the bottom of the stairs off the patio. This is the only access for them to the yard and I really do not want them to get stung. Will need to spray that area too later tonight as the landscapers will be here tomorrow working in that area and I do not want them hurt. I will learn to forgive the little bugger..but for now I am mad and they ruined my day getting gardening done.

Lake Stevens, WA

BH
I guess they will have to be stored inside for winter, zone 8. I just put them in a pot and placed in the sun. Well when the sun came out. Fist year.

Darn those wasps. I'm with you Beahive, they have to go. I could live with them if they were way from the house.

Deb, the recipe I use is as follows:

Raspberry or Blackberry liqueur:

4 cups raspberries
2 cups sugar
1 Qt Vodka (we use 80 proof)

Place in gallon jar with cover, let stand 6-8 weeks, stirring regularly. No need to refrigerate.
Strain liquid into decanter and enjoy!

This also worked really well with apricots.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sharon. I'm also doing up some raspberry vinegar, which I made last year as well. Soak berries in white wine vinegar for a couple months, strain and bottle with a sprig of tarragon. For extra clarity, I strained it 3 times (strainer, cheesecloth, coffee filter). My skin care lady's 4 year old son absolutely loved this (go figure) and reportedly poured it on everything. I used it in cooking and salad dressings, and for random gifts. Good stuff.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

And here's my blackberry cordial recipe (similar to Sharon's):

4 C berries, crushed
Peel of 1 lemon (no white)
Pinch of whole cloves
2 C vodka
1 C brandy

Steep 3 months, strain. Add sugar syrup to desired sweetness (1:2 water:sugar), I usually add about a cup. Very nice on a cold winter night. Or over ice cream.

Lake Stevens, WA

Those sound so good. Over ice cream yum!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Due to my busy schedule, and the sometimes confrontational nature of a member (certainly not Steve), I am taking a break from DG. One particular member has sent numerous Dmails to me that are quite unfriendly, and since I have limited time to spend on DG I prefer to avoid nastiness. I will check in occasionally when I have time, and I would like to share a quote -

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk to my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite." Bertrand Russell, British philosopher and mathematician

Lake Stevens, WA

Judy,
Sorry to hear about the D-mails and not going to hear from you so often. You add so much to the PNW forum. Love you quote! I think that is way we come to this site.
Take care.

Judi, we will definitely miss you here. Please at least lurk a bit! (By the way, I don't think you have to actually OPEN your d-mails if you don't want to!) Hope your busy schedule is stuff that is enjoyable and fulfilling for you.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Judi, if you are getting obnoxious Dmails, please report them to the administration. That sort of thing isn't supposed to go on here and the member will be dealt with. What a shame to lose a good person for a reason like that!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Judi, please don't go. We will miss you.

BTW: It doesn't seem like there is much interest in a Round UP the end of this month. Please post if the 17th or 24th of Sept would be better for you. I realize that everyone is really busy, so I want to accommodate as many as I can. Thank you.! I am looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, Judi, I'm so sorry to hear that. We definitely will miss you. I agree with GHG about letting admin know. I can't imagine being unpleasant to you.

Lynn, you know I'd love to be there.

When I returned home from our road trip it was to a very unhappy garden. It had been so hot and humid, but not much rain. Thankfully, I didn't plant any annuals this year.

Lynn, the 24th for a roundup would be good for me. Can't make the 17th.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.