Dwarf Key Lime

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I started some key lime seed this year and they all came up. I have 4 plants of which 3 are a little over a foot tall but one is about a quarter of the size of the rest with tiny leaves to match it's height - it actually looks more mature than the others! I'm curious if I may have a true dwarf key lime! Or perhaps it's a disease? Any citrus experts out there?

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of it with my other key limes - the dwarf came from the same batch of seeds and has not been treated any differently than the others,

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The leaves look a little yellower on the small one, so I suspect it may for whatever reason have some nutritional deficiency that the others do not have. If you've been treating them all the same in terms of fertilizer I don't know why it would have issues when the others don't, but that's what it looks like to me.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've never grown citrus before so I don't know either .. t'would be neat though if it made little fruits!

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I had a dozen of these also from seed that I traded away. One is left, about 5 years old, and it's about three-four feet high in a two-gallon pot. Mine overwinters in the garage so my conditions are hardly ideal. I've seen them in fruit in Florida nursuries in containers not much bigger.

Dave

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow! That's really cool!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Last year I got 2 key limes off my tree and this year have one meyers lemon off that tree.
I probably need to pay more attention to mine, as you're doing.
Barb

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from Xeramtheum :
I started some key lime seed this year and they all came up. I have 4 plants of which 3 are a little over a foot tall but one is about a quarter of the size of the rest with tiny leaves to match it's height - it actually looks more mature than the others! I'm curious if I may have a true dwarf key lime! Or perhaps it's a disease? Any citrus experts out there?

When ever you plant seeds from any citrus you will have variations in the offsprings just as would occur with one's children unless you kept the original blossoms isolated and only pollinated with the same variety. If you allow nature to do the pollinating (bees, wind, etc) there will more than likely cross pollination and different offspring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.