Rats in my plum tree!

Powell, WY(Zone 4b)

Last night while watching tv I heard a clicking sound comming from my backyard, I have a huge old plum tree and in the past have had racoons way up in the branches feasting on plums but never the clicking sound. When I shinned the flashlight up into the tree there were rats scurring across the branches. I know the racoons go back to the river before morning but I am afraid the rats will take up residence. I pick up plums off the ground every day and try to keep the area as clean as possible. My first thought was rat poison up in the tree but that is out as I have alot of birds in my yard. Any suggestions?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just be sure that your house is sealed off in the attic and under house areas. They are really bad if they get into your house. Do you have a lot of IvY? They love to live in Ivy.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hi Doss, long time no hear from!
We used those sticky traps, a friend said he caught his rats with it...all we caught was a poor bird.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Louise, I've been scarce here. I don't think that the rat poison would bother the birds but maybe I'm wrong.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

We can't use poisons here Doss, we have cats and dogs. The poor little bird got caught in the sticky traps and I had to pull him off, I hope he made it because I had to leave right after that and he had been hopping around the patio. Hope the cats or dogs didn't get him.
Good to see you again. Don't be scarce!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.