wisteria ??

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I bought 2 plants last year, both labeled wisteria, but no cultivar listed, both supposedly hardy to zone 4. Planted them in the ground, and they both made it thru our winter, surprisingly enough. However, I noticed that although they have the same growth pattern, the leaves on both are different. One has smooth edges on the leaves, and the other one has a serrated edge type leaf. I didn't notice that last year when I bought them, but that could be because they were both horribly neglected and in very bad shape, so that might be why. Or, it could be that I just didn't notice, lol! Neither one flowered any this year, but I didn't expect them too either, since I just planted them last year. What I'm wondering is, are they really wisteria, and why are leaves so different? If anyone who has different varieties could post leaves, I would love it. I've tried to research them some, but can't find pictures of the leaves, only the flowers. So if anyone who has a couple of different varieties could possibly let me know what the leaves look like? I can take pictures tomorrow if that would help?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are a few different species of wisteria which might have slightly different leaves. I'd post some pictures of yours and someone may be able to tell you what you have.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Here's a couple of pictures. Maybe this will help someone be able to tell me what these are? This is a shot of the one with the serrated leaves, and now I see it has some kind of buds on it. Does this look familiar to anyone? Is it really a wisteria?

Thumbnail by skellogg
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Here is a picture of the smooth edged vine. This one actually started climbing and twining up the arbor/trellis within the first few hours that we had it built, lol!

Thumbnail by skellogg
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Your first picture isn't in great focus but the buds don't look like wisteria to me and the leaves don't really either--maybe trumpet vine (Campsis) or something along those lines instead? Post a picture once the buds open and I'm sure someone will recognize it.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

That was my thoughts too, trumpet vine, especially since any pictures I've ever seen of them have the same type leaves. Yep, it really ought to be easy to ID when the flowers open, lol! Well, I guess if that's what it is, I'll have to decide whether to leave it there, or move it, lol! And the hummers should like it, too.

Pittsburgh, PA

What was the plant? Was it a trumpet vine? Kept hoping you would post a
picture when the plant was in bloom.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I think it's a trumpet vine, but it never did bloom. It got several buds on it, and the buds grew to about 2 inches long, but never opened and then just fell off. Now, all the leaves are falling off the vine :-( Don't know if I underwatered, overwatered, or what the problem is??? I've even posted on DG asking if anyone can give me ideas as to what is wrong. Haven't found any bugs, really, except for a couple of hoppers now and then, but even the hoppers this year aren't as bad as usual.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have both vines. The first photo is wisteria, although I have no idea what variety. The second is trumpet vine. I love them both. Once established the blooms of either are wonderful. Super hardy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.