Foundation flowerbeds

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

There are lots of great garden design books on the market or in print but none cover the foundation type flowerbeds like in a planned community where Island beds or round beds aren't allowed.

We are responsible for the area 4 ft. from the house's foundation. What you chose for those 4 ft. is your choice. Since this is a Sr. Citizens community, and most residents are up in age and either they have whatever was planted by original owner or they may add a hanging basket or a few potted plants with annuals.

We love flowers but I have tried to create a cottage garden the last two years and I have come to the conclusion that this may be the wrong style for the space I have. Cottage gardens need a wide open space in my opinion. There's no reason one can't chose cottage style plants but there has to be some consideration to color choice, deer resistant plants, drought tolerant, and low maintenance. I have found out it is hard to have this style in the space I have to work with.

Do I hire a landscape designer, a horticulturist, or do Master Gardeners take small jobs on like this for a fee? I have somebody that does our prunning and mulching and will do our planting if we can't do it but he doesn't have design expertise or creative skills. I have a limited budget and would like to be able to use certain perennials that I already have in my flowerbeds; those that can be divided to save on cost.

Do you know of any books geared for foundation type flower beds designs?

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!