Your Woodland Shade Favorites 2

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

The last thread was getting really long, so I took the liberty of making a new one. :)
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1170248/#new

We have ajuga everywhere, but no variegated--until this one popped up all on it's own last year!

Thumbnail by KyWoods
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just cant grow ajugas.They jump the fence too much. My weeding skills are diminished.

They do spread vigorously, making a good ground cover, with all the clay and rocks, where nothing else grows but weeds. They'd take over a garden for sure, though!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Clay? Rocks? thats my place. I use compost. weeds snap off in this dorught,giving me another chance at them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, nuts, I just might consider spraying if it gets to 80 or below.

I like ajuga but when it's too happy it can go haywire. I have no problem getting it out and trashed.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I've wanted to try some Ajuga (carefully) for some areas way in the back of the yard where nothing, but weeds grow. That area also tends to flood briefly in Spring after heavy rains, especially when the ground is still partially frozen.

I bought two 'Chocolate Chip' Ajuga plants from Bluestone this Spring (at half price) and planted them away from everything in a part of that area that floods just to see how they do. I figure anything that can survive there might help to keep down the small pond that develops in early Spring. Anyway, it's worth a try.

Very pretty flowers on yours, KyWoods! BTW, thanks for the new thread...

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 11:21 AM

It is ideal for many sites. I've used it at the post and rail fence and it doesn't allow weeds to grow, far better than having to squeeze in there to try and weed those areas.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Funny, but I planted some Ajuga pyramidalis a couple years ago that didn't survive. Then last year, I found some Ajuga retans in another bed; it was being choked out by Anemone canadensis. This year I weeded my Iris cristata and transplanted the Ajuga amidst it in the hopes of deterring the weeds. So far, it's working =) I can take a current pic when I get home, but here's a pic of the initial transplant.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

your weeds look like my weeds

pirl - I'll try to remember to get a photo of the fencing stuff when we spray for mosquitoes again since it's close to the wetlands. Got it at Menard's, it comes 4 ft tall but easy to adapt the height. Has sewn in sleeves the slip over a metal post. I modified mine to 6 ft tall. Because it's in a very undulating area bordering the woods, I didn't want to use concrete for posts. If I had made the fence taller, my poor brother wouldn't have been able to pound in the metal posts from the top of a step stool. Deer haven't jumped it yet although the raccoons do get caught in it. Left a wicked hole that I'll go back and patch when the weather gets cooler.

Thank you, Cindy.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Who was it who said caladiums aren't eaten by deer???
Oops, I think it was me.

Just a little exasperating!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've tried various deer deterrent sprays in the past, but I have such a big yard,
it just hasn't seemed practical. I have so many gardening chores, and all has to be done on the weekends due to work schedule; it doesn't make sense to spend half of it spraying. My approach has been to protect individual special plants with fencing/cages, rather than fence the whole yard. Hostas/caladiums, etc are beautiful and can be enjoyed for half my season; once the deer find them, c'est la vie... I'll enjoy them again next year.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

What a shame.

Last year they ate a few caladium leaves in one area but left all others alone. Now it seems I'll have to face the heat tonight and spray.

Did I mention how much I hate the deer?

So far, the mesh fencing across 150 ft of the back of my lot has kept most of the deer out. I think I have one that's either jumping a chain link fence on both sides (doubtful) or is wandering in off the street (wooded cul de sac) into the back yard. Heads straight for the bird feeder - actually eating from it - and nibbling on one particular violet. Has nipped just a few Hosta flowers but that's about it. They've actually left me coneflowers to enjoy this year.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Cyclamen just started blooming.
No foliage yet.
Such a dainty flower for such inhospitable heat.
But seems to take it in stride.

Edited to say: No, sadly that's not rain, it's residual from my sprinklers.
It rained all around us today. Not a drop here. Sigh...

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Real beauties for this time of year. Are you all dry down in STL? Up here, it's cooler but the humidity is higher than the temps with no breeze today. I'd be out in the garden except that the mosquitoes will carry me away or drive me crazy. Off and on rain is raising that population. Yesterday was a scorcher with heat exhaustion for one of the guests at a graduation party we attended.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We had a small amount of rain early Sunday morning. Not enough to wet beneath the trees,thats my real rain measurment.

ge - Know what you mean about getting wet underneath trees. Looks like the rain is heading your way. I think we've had enough here in the past week.

We got lucky yesterday evening, only a ten minute storm, but a downpour!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Light rain for an hour but not enough. Just thunder and sprinkles.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

We've had major thunderstorms for the last several days. Boy do we ever need it! Today it was nice and clear, finally, with much less humidity, but that won't last. I believe the higher temps and humidity are due back tomorrow.

Glad to hear the Ajuga is working out, Eleven.

Sorry about your Caladiums, Weerobin. Your Cyclamen are very pretty!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Heucherella 'Stoplight'

edited to say, "Oops. . .and a few weeds I forgot to pull...

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Ooo, that's a pretty one!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

These are actually done blooming, now, but I forgot to post this pic and I really like this variety.

Aquilegia 'Songbird Cardinal'

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well, this is a photo I took of Pirl's invasive weed Houttuynial that she sent me two years ago. It is in a shallow 42" pot. It has not grown that much on top but when planting other plants in the pot, it's roots were everywhere.

It had a hard time getting started and I had at least 10 starts and this is the only one that made it. So every time I see it I think of Pirl.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I like heucherella because it is a nice spreading groundcover for shade.
It's not aggressive and if it goes anywhere you don't want, it's easy to pull.
The only picture I have is of heucheralla Stoplight's precurser, heucherella Sunspot.
Stoplight has nicer markings on the foliage, otherwise similar.
Here's my Sunspot doing soil erosion control on a shady hillside.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Very nice, nuts!

That's a lot of Sunspot, Wee!

Your Houttuynia, which you asked me for (I don't want people thinking I send out evil plants), seems to have lost its color, Sharon. If it reverts to solid green it will be just boring. It seems to do that in hot areas.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks KyWoods - I have two of them. . .the first one came in a small batch of plants from Bluestone one Autumn that had some problems . . .a few of the plants appeared to be infested with something. So they replaced the entire order the next Spring even though some of the plants were okay (Bluestone is wonderful about replacement). I tossed the bad ones and planted the good ones & they've thrived.

Sharon - Your "invasive weed" doesn't appear to be very invasive in that pot, although if the pot was full of roots, I can only imagine what it would do if allowed to roam free. It's pretty, though.

Weerobin - Your Heucherella looks lovely growing all en masse like that, especially with all the blooms! I love Heuchera/Heucherellas. I just started planting them a few years ago, but the variety is staggering and they seem to do well no matter where I plant them.

I have one variety that has been blooming non-stop since Spring. It's relatively tame by color standards . . Green with some faint markings . . .but the blooms are very tall and very deep pink. Non of my pictures have done the blooms justice, but I might post one anyway.

Thanks Pirl. BTW, I love your term. . ."evil plants" . . .what a great name for invasives!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2011 9:21 AM

I agree, for an 'evil' plant, that one is really pretty! In containers, or in very steep shade where only weeds grow (like some of our property), there is definitely a place for the little demons, lol.

They thrive in shade, love moisture, do not seem to like extreme heat. I would strongly advise against ever planting it.

Oh, they wouldn't like our dry shade, then.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Pirl, I think it is beautiful. It is several shades of green and also has white. The flower is adorable. I tried it in the sun and it fried. I think of you every time I see my "evil" plant.

Great. Now I'm associated eternally with evil. New sprouts of it are up and thriving despite a strong spray of straight vinegar so that's my only job for today.

Happy birthday a week early, Sharon!

LOL, pirl, nope, you are associated with your sharing heart, and with fighting evil!

Whew! That was a narrow escape.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Weerobin, I really like your patch of heucherella. We have a lot growing wild at our NC cabin and I've brought a few here to Decatur, GA. They are nice growing individually among other shade plants, but I may try to find space for a patch. I'm afraid they will not take much direct sun in GA. And your photos are always beautiful.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PIRL!!!!!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Evil Plant Lady, Happy Birthday. Sharon

LOL, hope you've been busy doing fun stuff, Pirl!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.