Bay Area Garden Design & Planning

San Francisco, CA

I recently moved into a new house in the SF Bay Area and the yard is just grass. I have already started a small garden but would like to expand. Does anyone know good websites, books or other resources to help me get ideas for design and choosing appropriate plants? Thanks

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are some books:

"Plants and Landscapes for Summer-Dry Climates," East Bay Municipal Utility District, 2004

"Golden Gate Gardening: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area and Coastal California" by Pam Pierce. Published by Sasquatch Books in 1998.

“Growing California Native Plants” by Marjorie D. Schmidt

“Northern California Gardening” by Katherine Grace Endicott

“Where on Earth: A Guide to Specialty Nurseries and Other Resources for California Gardeners” by Nancy Conner, Barbara C. Stevens

If you're interested in using succulents, take a look at Debra Lee Baldwin's books: "Designing with Succulents" and "Succulent Container Gardens: Design Eye-Catching Displays with 350 Easy-Care Plants."

You should also go to Flora Grubb Nursery in the City and Yerba Buena Nursery on the Peninsula.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 4:14 PM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sunset Western Garden Book is another handy one to have.

Novato, CA(Zone 10a)

For gardening in the Bay Area, I'd definitely recommend visiting the website of Annie's Annuals & Perennials (a nursery in Richmond) to get some ideas on what to put in your yard: http://anniesannuals.com/

Because they are in the Bay Area, the vast majority of the plants they sell there will thrive in our climates year-round. What I've found extremely helpful are the "Totally Useful Plant Lists" on the left side of the page - it lists plants that would be suitable for whatever issue you're having in a certain place in your yard (clay soil, deer, drought, etc). I know I'm sounding a bit like an advertisement right now (I'm not affiliated, I swear!), but that nursery is a really great place if you can head over there and take a look around.

The only possible downside is that all the plants they sell there are quite small, though if you're in San Francisco proper your yard is probably pretty, er, "cozy" anyway.

San Francisco, CA

Thank you all so much! This makes me excited. I haven't been to Annie's yet but have heard great things. And I hadn't thought of looking at their website for ideas. The regional books will be helpful too. Yes, my yard is small and I have a feeling I will end up turning it from all lawn into all garden within the next year or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.