planning to make the move to self-sufficiency

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hooray for the hens! (and you, of course, LOL)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It all sounds great. Be glad when you get the pics posted.

I lost one of my EEs. My favorite one. I set some blue and green eggs under my two broody hens yesterday.

Bentonville, AR

Bedroom nearly complete

Thumbnail by o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

Im so excited I finally got pics to load :)
1st one is my bathroom with my linoleum half done, spraypainted counter and enamel resurfaced cabinets.

The 2nd one is my amazingly huge master closet, completely done!

The next one is my porch which I am completely in love with.

And last but not least is mine and my friends ducks and chicks over a month ago.

Thumbnail by o_angi2001 Thumbnail by o_angi2001 Thumbnail by o_angi2001 Thumbnail by o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

Sorry about the ee. We have lost a couple of ourhens too. A white one, probably the heat. And a red got over the fence and my friend has 2 wolves. 1 caught it midair. Poor bird didn't stand a chance.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It all looks great. You must be so excited to be so close to having it done. Does the bathroom open up off the bedroom?

Why did you decide on no roof for your porch?

The ducks and chicks look nice. Is that dark red chick a buckeye?

Sorry to hear about your chicken. I just hate to lose any. I lost 2 kids about a month ago. Born too early. That's a big hit. Half my kid crop for the year but I am milking the doe.

How have your gardens done this year?

Bentonville, AR

Cajun, yes the bathroom is open to the bedroom, I am not crazy about that but it is just me so I will get used to it, lol.

I will put a roof on my porch, possibly this fall. Eventually maybe even screen it in, that is why I wanted the frame ready for a roof :)

The dark red chick was just a straight run from the feed store so I have no idea but her and the rooster are gorgeous birds.
My garden was a pipers dream this year. Next year when I dont have to explain to my parents what I am spending my time on it will be feasible. I got a lot of grief over doing anything to my outdoors when the inside wasn't finished yet.

I just love farm babies. I can't wait to try my hand at goats and get back into rabbits.

Oh lets face it, I can't wait to be living my dream!

Bentonville, AR

I have linoleum laid!!! Nobody told me just how messy the glue was. In smaller sections it wasn't as noticeable but doing the wholekitchen and living room I was a ball of glue.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

And you did not get a pic of that?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Buckeyes are a heritage breed so they may not have been at the feed store. They are very pretty birds. I think PorkPal has some. They are larger than RIRs and more of a brownish red. I don't know much more about them than that.

I figured with no drop from the back of the porch frame to the front, you had decided to have no roof. A roof would be great. It would give you extra room in bad weather and shade in Summer. It's also nice not to have to stand in the rain while trying to unlock the door. :)

My Mom's bathroom opens to her bedroom. It's not bad. She has a big oval tub.

Sorry about your garden. Mine has been a mixed bag. Eating just a little out of it. My seeds did not do well this year. I won't be using that Jiffy starting mix next year. I'll go back to the peat pellets. I had better luck with them. My taters were a sad disappointment. The tomatoes are coming along well.

You are more adventurous than me. I'd have just gone with peel and stick. :)

Bentonville, AR

I will have to check on the buckeyes. I would like to go with heritage breeds in the future.

I will be putting a roof on my porch eventually and possibly screening it in, but I can easily enough fix what I have to accommodate that. Since it was my birthday gift I am thankful it came up with trellis at all.

As for the linoleum, I used that in my bedroom and am very pleased with it. I had wanted that in my living room as well, but arguing with my dad is futile.

I am so antsy looking forward to moving in I can hardly stand it.

Bentonville, AR

Woo hoo I got more pics!

Thumbnail by o_angi2001 Thumbnail by o_angi2001 Thumbnail by o_angi2001
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It looks great, so clean and fresh. I can imagine you must be so excited!!

Bentonville, AR

This is the week!!!!!!! I finished my flooring today, my toilet should be installed (my brother and dad are still working on it while I go to my drudge job) and my kitchen sink should be finished. Tomorrow, I take my first loads of stuff down to startmoving in. I am so very excited I can hardly stand it. Of course, now the real work begins.... The stuff I have dreamt of. Chickens and goats and gardening and canning! Ahhhhh life begins this week. A new chapter of my life and I am ready for it.

Whooopeee!!

Richmond, TX

Woo-hoo!

Bentonville, AR

I'm so happy, I am like a kid on Christmas eve. I have been giddy all evening at work. People are gonna think I am on drugs or something, jk.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am so happy for you!!!!! If we lived closer I'd give you your first goat!

Bentonville, AR

Well, I am moved in and am absolutely loving life! I spent a few days without running water but got my pipes fixed so I at least have some running water now. Still don't have my water heater hooked up but am fine with what I do have for now. I don't have internet so it isn't as easy to check on here.

I had forgotten just how much I love my laundry dried on clothesline. Yes, even the rough towels! Lol

I have been reading up on using pigs to terrace hillsides. Its slowgoing but makes sense. I shall put this on next years list of things to do. Ha! For now, I am mostly concerned with getting the brush and weeds under control and cutting down a few trees.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bravo !

Hooray Angi!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great news!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So happy for you. Goats will help you clean up your weeds.

Bentonville, AR

Update.... I got a rabbit. Shes a rex mix and I plan on breeding her shortly. I also got 2 pigs. They're little Hampshire boars. Been working on the outside lately.

Bentonville, AR

I don't get online much unless I happen to be in town besides for work so that doesn't happen very often. Quick update: the pigs are growing good and rooting up a bunch of rocky hard dirt so that maybe I can eventually have some sort of a yard like area. There have been some nasty windstorms that have knocked over a few trees in my yard and my dad was nice enough to come over and cut a couple more dead ones down. I have several more dead trees to come down but I got nothing but time. The rabbit is about mature enough to breed so I'm looking for her a boyfriend.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So glad things are going well. Good idea to put the pigs to work.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

wow you have done an amazing job on your home... I love the new kitchen cabinets, just beautiful, I also love your ducks. When it comes times for goats, I would suggest some nigerian dwarf dairy goats, they are just wonder milkers and companions, just make sure to get more than one, or a single goat will drive you crazy...LOL

Jan

Great progress, Angi...

I second the Nigerian Dwarf goats. Cute critters!

Bentonville, AR

I am leaning toward the nigerian dwarfs. They are so stinkin cute. I have a friend that is giving me some chickens sooooo gotta get moving on a coop. I have so much to do to get ready for wi ter.

Hey Angi girl... wondered where you've been!

I went to a farm 2- 3 years ago to look at Dwarf Nigerian goats. If I'd had any $$$$$, several would have been loaded in the back of my truck!!

Bentonville, AR

Well I will try to update. Merry Christmas to all my dg friends! Still no critters. My pigs got attacked by a pack of wild dogs so I have lost them. It was sad but I needed to learn that.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

ang - sorry about your pigs - take life as it hits you - and hit back as you can - chin up - the world is good we just have to deal with it. Merry Christmas !

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So sorry about the loss of your pigs. It' s part of farming but not the best part. Lost my whole flock of chickens in 2 nights. I feel your pain. I am sure you will bounce back.You are made from strong stuff.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Angie, how are things going in your little slice of heaven?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

darius

You can't go wrong with Nigerian dwarf dairy goats, I used to own 45 of those little ones and miss them so much. I especially love their milk, the cheese, butter and soap from their milk as well.

Jan

Bentonville, AR

Hello everyone. i sure have missed everyone. but i have internet access on my phone now! i have a billy named kidd believed to be fiber dairy cross and a dairy nanny. i also have 21 cockerels im growing out to butcher next month. i will try and post pics soon. i started canning this year as well. cukespickled onions n peppers salsa and peach butter. so far so god. planning to grow and can much more next year. also been busy knitting bunches. will read the other threads to catch up with all u great ppl!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi !

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So good to hear from you again. You have been missed. I would love to learn to can. What kinda roos do you have?

Bentonville, AR

I got the frying pan special from
Cackle. 10weeks hatch to butcher. they should be ready just before christmas.

i started water bath canning this yr but got my hands on access to a pressure canner and a steam bath canner. i recommend steam to start. works the same as water bath in a frsction of the time bc ur not heating 20 qts of water. only 1 or 2.

Im planning next yrs garden already. i have loads of prep to do bc it will be my first. potatoes tomatoes corn beans cukes pepper slettuce herbs. not to mention goodies for the critters. ha.

Also have some critter pens to build by spring. plans for animals next yr. trying pigs again. another na.ny. 2 or 3 lambs. laying hens. ducks turkeys guineas and meat birds. And a donkey if i can get a good deal on one as in free. haha. i have already sold half these cockerels so i figure thats a good start at the critters supporting the farm somewhat. i also have a friend who lives just down the road who xcomes to help me w big projecys and i in turn help her and her family. it has turned out wonderfully.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have toyed with the idea of raising some meat birds. I think if I do I will go with the cornish cross roos.

I have never heard of steam canning. Does it require a special pot?

Make sure you get your pens built before you get your animals. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Swapping work is a great deal. It helped to build our country. The pioneers could not have built their homesteads and communities without it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.