wanting a GH in zone 5a Upstate NY...help me........

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

I'm not sure I can have one tho,,, we have a large tree in the center of the yard..... so the only space I could put it get some sun and not a whole lot...can I still have a green house?

Can some explain to me the purpose of having a GH! you dont really use it in the summer do you? I have only been gardening for about 2.5 years and Im a container gardener. Is it to sow seeds outside instead of inside?

help me

JMR

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You can use them either for overwintering things that aren't hardy in your zone, or for getting a headstart on seed starting in the spring. In your area if summers don't get too hot you could probably leave some things in there year-round (although you wouldn't need to).

You can still have a greenhouse with the trees/shade, but since you're not going to get much sun to help you out on heating, you'll end up spending a little more to heat it than you would if you had a sunnier spot. And if you use it to start seeds you will need to use fluorescent lights to get them enough light that they don't get all leggy.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

We're nearly neighbors, and i have a greenhouse that is FULL of Hydrangea and rhododendron cuttings, a barberry seedling & a juniper seedling right now. like you, i thought I'd only use it for a few things in winter and spring, but it's proved useful to me. I also started some more Perennial seeds in June to fill some bare spots. I'd try to see if you can find a slightly sunnier spot and get one!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I love being able to go out to the GH on cold winter days, even if I don't need to do watering or other little chores. It is worth it just to be "outside" and working with plants. I overwinter plants and start new ones with cuttings and seeds. Put a chair inside and read while getting natural light - wonderful for winter doldrums.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

That's a great idea! I just may have to find an old chair for mine

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

don't forget a footstool, and a place for your cool drink. I've been known to catch a few zzzzz's there, too. I've been thinking about a cheap cd player with ocean sounds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.