Ninebark "Diablo" and "Dart's Gold"

Richmond B.C., Canada

I have been eying these shrubs in the nursery lately. We ripped out part of our front yard this year to improve the drainage (fingers crossed) and I would to like to beef up the shrubs in my yard. The area I am looking at is on the west side of my neighbor's cedar hedge so gets mainly afternoon sunlight. Anyone have any of these in their gardens at present? What has been your experience?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I just planted Coppertina this year and it is doing well. I have a couple older unnamed ninebark (a burgundy and a green) which have both done well - no bugs or disease problems to speak of, both growing next to our driveway in semi-shade (a stand of mature firs directly south of the E-W driveway). They are native to our area so the cultivars should all do good.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have both and they love sun but do just fine with some shade. The flowering of the ninebark is right now beautiful. They are very large plants and have a fountain shape. I prune every year after flowering with the ninebark to keep their shape in control or they would become the size of a car. Darts gold is a native of Montana and here it seeds everywhere but I just dig them up and plant them where ever I want the Chartreuse to highlight some heavy forground planting. I am on my new computer and no picts here so when I hook back up to the other one I will show you the plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.