Iris Bed on the move

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm planning on moving some Caesar's Brothers in the fall. I'm wondering whether I should cut back the leaves now so that the will be easier to divide in say September. The last time I moved any was on a whim a few springs ago and I didn't cut anything back they did fine but it was early when I did that and I didn't care if they bloomed so that wasn't an issue. I don't really care if they bloom next season though that would be a bonus. I just want easy dividing this fall.

Thomaston, CT

Dividing Sibs is a pain....I would cut the leaves....anything to help with those matted roots!

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I cut the leaves back this morning. Someone I know said it was not a good idea but could't really tell me why. I understand the leaves dying back. Probably did't need 'a thread' for this sorry about that...didn't know if there is a general 'spot' for this sort of stuff.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've done it often with Siberian irises just to make the moving and placement easier and they always perform well for me. Just keep them damp. Mulch would be a huge help.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm by the water here and apparently they like the salt air and sandy soil. The ones that I moved transplanted well but were in a similar area in the yard. Half of the next group will be moving to the back yard and get several hours more sun a day that's why I want them to get the jump and 'winter' there. I spend winters 'away' so they don't always get much TLC until I get there (though I do try and make up for it when I arrive :) )

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They do enjoy "a view of the water" as I read long ago. We're around 200' from the water and they do seem to like it! Give them compost, water and mulch and they will reward you.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have wonderful large clumps of siberian iris which I brought from my former home in New Jersey over 27 years ago. They were originally planted in the bed along my driveway which faces due south and gets sun nearly all day. it is also the hilltop and on the dry side. I have never done much to them in all these years except add a bit of bone meal when I think about it in the spring. I have divided out clumps to place in other beds and to sell at my garden club spring plant sale and to give away. I still have the original huge clumps. I just hack some out and move them where I want them or pot them up for the sale. I have never lost any ever. after all this time, I do replace soil in the driveway bed because some always goes out with the clump. My son weedwhacks the yellow foliage in the fall which assists in leaf blowing at cleanup time. I have these blue, whites, which came to me in the same kind of clumps I sell and give away, and some fancier varieties. They are a totally hardy staple of my spring garden here in MA. Here's a picture of one from last year.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Thomaston, CT

I found it's pretty hard to kill a sib!

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

me too but some people insist that they struggle w/ them. Don't know but love, love the color of these and they've been faithfully for the last 11 years.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

There is a direction that some Siberian Iris breeders are going that makes some of these look more like japanese iris. My garden, to my everlasting regret, is too dry for Japanese Iris. Perhaps they are confusing these with Siberians.
Martha

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

Martha I think you maybe exactly right. My garden is too dry for Japanese also (in fact it's too dry period...sandy and acidic because I have some tall pines on my north side. But some things thrive...the Iris are not near the pines. They were the very first perennial I bought after I built my house. I was lusting for them because I was living in the desert and the thought of a cottage garden w/ Iris' in June was like a dream come true!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.