Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Northeast Gardening: Iris Bed on the move, 1 by gardenmart

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gardenmart

In reply to: Iris Bed on the move

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Iris Bed on the move
gardenmart wrote:
I have wonderful large clumps of siberian iris which I brought from my former home in New Jersey over 27 years ago. They were originally planted in the bed along my driveway which faces due south and gets sun nearly all day. it is also the hilltop and on the dry side. I have never done much to them in all these years except add a bit of bone meal when I think about it in the spring. I have divided out clumps to place in other beds and to sell at my garden club spring plant sale and to give away. I still have the original huge clumps. I just hack some out and move them where I want them or pot them up for the sale. I have never lost any ever. after all this time, I do replace soil in the driveway bed because some always goes out with the clump. My son weedwhacks the yellow foliage in the fall which assists in leaf blowing at cleanup time. I have these blue, whites, which came to me in the same kind of clumps I sell and give away, and some fancier varieties. They are a totally hardy staple of my spring garden here in MA. Here's a picture of one from last year.
Martha