Scale on Chamaedorea seifrizii

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

What do I need to do to treat my bamboo palm for scale? I have read about treating Cycas revoluta with coffee grounds in the soil and neem oil on the leaves. Does this hold true for a more tender houseplant?

Thumbnail by daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Another pic. This one of the honeydew on leaves below.

Thumbnail by daves_not_here
noonamah, Australia

Bamboo Palm is really only more tender from a temperature point of view. They're quite tough otherwise. Neither coffee grounds nor neem oil would have any adverse effect on the plant, done at normal application rates.

A lot of these pests seem to get onto the plants more when they're indoor grown. There doesn't seem to be the balance with predator insects. Once one or two pest insects get in they multiply unchecked.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks!
I have also heard of cleaning off the scale with rubbing alcohol, or maybe it was 1:10 bleach to water. Any thoughts on this?

David

noonamah, Australia

I've heard of alcohol being used but bleach sounds a bit drastic, even diluted. You can do a trial run on a part of the plant and see how it goes. The bleach I'd only try if all else fails.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks, that makes sense.

Another option, maybe? Bayer has a couple products with Imidacloprid. The Rose & flower spray has Imidacloprid at 0.012% and B-cyfluthrin 0.0015%. The label shows that it's safe on houseplants. I like the Idea of a systemic. My first concern would be to keep the treated plant away from my cat. I know the plant files shows it as being poisonous. Perry has shown no ill effects from nibbling on the leaves, but with a systemic I'd have to be sure he can't reach it.

Do you think the toughness of this plant will handle the rose and flower spray?

Thanks again, David

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

yes, no problem... you can physically remove scale (no alcohol, soap or bleach needed)- just wipe off. But to keep it from coming back something like that Bayer product should work well.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks!

David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.